canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'only if you modify your bike a lot..'

Well, except for the bikes that have blown up that haven't been modified much at all. ;)

Still, the 220 would seem to suit what you list as wishes for a bike.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
canyoncrver-Well I'm glad there's only 2 options to consider,the 200 or 220. It sounds like you and a lot of 200 riders have modded there bikes ot perform well in tight trails.Let's say Idid the same to adapt a 200 for me.A taller rear sprocket,flywheel weight,and a torque pipe,and different muffler/silencer.With these mods would a 200 be close to a 220 in low end torque/performance?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Warning: The following statement has no quantitative substance. It is completely conjecture based on hearsay and opinions of others!

It is my understanding that some things are just not to be.

1. The 220 (without considerable cylinder modification..which is to say porting) will never have the top end of the 200.

2. The 200 (without considerable cylinder modification..which is to say porting) will never have the bottom end of the 220.

I think it's easier to make a 220 more like a 200 than it is to make a 200 more like a 220. The former would tend toward metal removal in the porting process, the latter would require some metal/substance addition.

It doesn't have to be impossible. Decide which direction you're leaning toward, and chose from there.

If you want bottom end and lots of it...and don't ever plan on missing the topend of things, get a 220.

If you want a bike that HAS a topend (were not talking about an mx/125 like topend you realize) and can be modified to do probably anything you'll likely want to on the bottom, get a 200.

Here's an added bit of effluvia. My riding buddy had a kdx200 (he's orange now). He's started bike riding (dirt) when he was something like 6 yrs old. He's good. He's ridden a lot of bikes, knows what they are supposed to do. He rode a 220 (had to get the rider out of a jam..the rider couldn't get the 220 up a particular hill). He wasn't all that impressed with it.

That 220 was in stock trim. His comparison was to our somewhat modified 200s.

Were not talking about comparing a 426yzf to a cr125. It's not THAT big a deal.

Good luck. You'll likely get a big kick out of either one of 'em!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom