Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I removed the tube for the first time from my 01CR250 and I noticed that there was a nut on the valve stem, but it was on the inside of the wheel. On the outside there is just a rubber grommet shaped to fit the curve of the rim. I have read on the web where that nut should be on the outside of the rim so that it holds the valve stem in place. Did Honda mess up or is the nut not really needed? Should I just reinstall the tube as it was or should I remove the nut from the valve stem and reinstall it once I push the valve stem through the wheel?
Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jeepboy.

There should be a nut on the outside also. A lot of people don't use them, myself included. The reason I don't use them is, if your tire is slipping on the rim, it is hard to tell that this is happening until the tire and tube moves so much that it can tear the tube at the valve stem.

If you don't use the nut, you can tell that the tire is moving on the rim because the valve stem will start bending over at an angle. This gives you time to fix it before it tears the tube.

Modern tire locks work pretty good to keep the tire from moving, but, if you run low air pressure, the tire can still move on the rim.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom