Into the Nest of Quads

LVMarc

Oct 11, 2001
Ok maybe this isn't actually a flame, but it just happened yesterday and its true. :eek: I have been seriously considering purchasing a cannondale. However, at cannondales website they list no dealer in my area (Vegas). Yesterday I call a dealer in florida for a price on an x440s and he tells me that there is a cannondale dealer in vegas! Its called QUAD CENTRAL. Apparently cannondale is a major force in the quad world. There dealer listings on the website did not show a vegas dealer because I was looking for a motorcycle dealer. So I called Quad Central and they had an x440s on the showroom floor. :) All right, I was going down there! It is out by the speedway, but I work downtown and its not that long of a drive. I arrive at the industrial park at the speedway and find the store. Open the front door and its just a little office with a couple of doors. Not really sure I looked around and on the wall infront of me was a color flyer listing a quad for sale at $34,000 dollars! Yes thats Thirty Four THOUSAND dollars. A person notices I am there and takes me through the door........................;)

OOhhhOOOhhhOOhhhAAAAHhhhhHHHHhh

I am in the nest of the quads.... Surrounded by 50 to 60 quads Some stock, most have outrageous paint jobs that cost more than my motorcycle did. Every square inch is chromed or Gold plated. Everyperson in there thinks quads are gods! Some have price tags like $26000 and up. And in the middle there is my x440s. All by itself, surrounded by 4-wheelers that would make any custom car lover jealous of the amount of chrome, paint and wizbangs. Suddenly $5995 seemed really cheap for a new motorcycle. People looked at me as I saddled up with a "Oh thats how ya get on that thing" look. The sales rep told me that the quads had as much money in the motors as they did in all the custom stuff. I asked so what you do with it. Trailer it to a quad show? I am not slamming, I just don't know. The guy said that people actuall ride em.:eek: It seems to me all the fancy paint and chome would get trashed, but I guess thats there business. Anyway the cannondale looked awesome. However, I have already gotten quotes less that what this guy was asking so I probably won't buy it from him.... Besides...could you imagine me meeting one of ya'll someday in vegas.. "Hey, nice bike where did you get it?":scream:

--marc

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I guess it all boils down to, to each to his own (is that right?)
I guess if people like em than that's what they will do.
People think me and my buddies are nut's because we will take nice stock trucks and slam em to the ground till they can lay on the frame rails :)

Not to mention how many times do you hear? He just spend 6000 on a dirtbike, they will crash in once a week and then sell it for 4800 after one year. Not to mention putting shiny pipes on and dent them weekly too :(

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
What kind of hill billy has $30k to spend on a quad? Heck, that's as much as a double-wide. Sure looks purdy spinin' do'nuts tho, aint it?:confused:

Whoops

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
What really gets me is that most of them use 12 year old technology (TRX250R, Yamaha Banshees), and that's cutting edge! :mad:

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Before anyone get's the wrong idea, my last post was a joke. It is not my intention to offend any hill billy's out there.

Whoops

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
We ride at Sand Mountain here in Utah and almost every weekend there is quite a few custom banshees, trx-250r's etc.. most of the true custom quads here are hill shooters and are built to race up sand mountain. Some of these quads are true works of art and run hard for example we have seen over the past summer a banshee using the 350 bottom end and a 700cc polaris top end, a suzuki GSXR 1100 in a custom chassis etc. I do dislike the typical quad rider with no helmet, girl on the back, drunk jumping a camp fire ( yes we did see this) but some of the custom machienes are engineering masterpieces and are built to race.No I don't have a quad (wife does) but I did build a hill shooter ATC 500R which is fun to race in the sand drags and king of the hill contest.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by OnAnySunday
Originally posted by BigBore :
"Nothing in some cases. Its just nothing to brag about."

Depends on the "old tech" device or vehicle in question.
Tell that to a 427 Cobra owner.......:eek: :eek: :eek:
What's "old tech" about a Cobra? Cubic inches still rule even today. Just look at the 500hp, 500cid Viper...

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
weren't they a pushrod motor? I guess if so that would make it "old tech", technically:)
Well, overhead cams and four-valve/cylinder heads have been around since the early 1910s, so I wouldn't call that "new tech", either...:p

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
... overhead cams and roller rockers have been around since the 20's. I wouldn't exactly call that cutting-edge technology. ;)

LVMarc

Oct 11, 2001
:p Uh Oh, I just called the quad dealer, and they are willing to deal on the price on the x440s. :confused: So now, it just may be that when I get asked.

"where did you get your bike"

My answer will be from a quad dealer.

I wonder how much grief that will get me.....

I suppose I will be in good hands thought. Cannondale seems to be very well know in the quad world, and this dealer sure seems like they know what they are doing. Plus, the dealer actually seems like a nice guy--like some of the ones you hear about on this forum. The Honda, Yam, Kaw, and honda dealers here in vegas treat you like they are doing you a favor. Even when your about to give them thousands of your dollars for a new bike:mad:

I will post cannondale comments at thumper central when I get it.

--marc

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Gee, never thought about it until now.....but maybe I should be kinda embarrassed that I buy all my parts an stuff from Parker's ATV. Well, I guess technically its called Parker's ATV & Cycle, but they answer the phone by saying "Parker's ATV....." :confused:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
good point on the pushrod thing, but could we agree that multi valve and overhead cams are considered superior? (note that this is the trend for NEWER vehicles)

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Combustion engine basic were figured out years ago. The new stuff is really metalurgy, electronics and cad design tools. Today's space age materials, computer control and tight design tolerances that just weren't possible in the past.

But great god almighty, why waste all that good stuff on a q--d? It's got to be tough explaining to other dirtbiker that you get your stuff at an ATV dealer. Personally, I find it hard to relate to q--ds period but a $30K q--d? Were am I??

Whoops

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
BIGBORE all i have to say about parkers is don't let doug touch your forks, i had a bad fork seal incident. they were not leaking when i took them in for service after they had serviced them i could not keep seals in the bike. i don't know if they don't know how to put them on or if they damaged my tubes but i can do them my self now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom