Inverted forks leak oil after seal replacement?

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
Just replaced the fork and dust seals on my inverted forks (on kdx)

The procedure went smooth, except on one fork, I installed the oil seal facing downwards. (I fixed that)

I added 7-9 cm of oil (with spring out, fork completely compressed). After compressing and expanding the shock, the oil level went down (into the cartridge I assume). So I topped it up and put it back together.

I go for a pretty rough ride (20min) I take a look at the forks and they are leaking oil. Not lots, but it should be oil free.
I got home, popped the dust seal off and there was a bit of oil in between the 2 as suspected.

Could I possibly have a lip on the oil seal flipped? What could go wrong. They are new parts!

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
it could be you fork tubes have some small nics on them, they can be removed with a hammer, kidding, steele wool. although that may not be the problem.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
probably got a defective seal. What brand are you using?

Other than that on the inverteds, get new seals, dust wipers as you did but also use the seal savers. I have not had a leak since doing all 3.

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
The brand is ATHENA (made in ITALY) (for the oil seals)
I got both items through kawisaki, and the dust seals were genuine parts. I don't know why the oil seals werent.

I did coat the seals lightly with fork oil upon installation, but that amount of residual oil that leaked out was greater than what I coated them with.

The fork tubes are smooth, no bumps or scratches.

I'll take it for another ride and see what happens

Thanks for the input!

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
I just got my seals done on my 94. It also has the inverts and i noticed the brake side was leaking after a hard ride. So I took it back down to the shop and they put another new seal in for me. After racing this past weekend, I find it leaking again*sigh* I think im going to give up, and just keep topping up the oil every once in a wile ;)

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I bought a new seal off of ebay (don't remember if it was dust or oil seal) and then got oil seals from the Kawi shop. My seals have been leaking for about a month not bad until after a race last sunday. I am going to take the forks into the Kawi shop and have them replace the seals. My question is, do the dust seal and the Oil seal look the same? I believe I got the dust seal on ebay but I am not completely sure. Both the seals I got look exactly the same (not a big deal if they are the same. I also have the inverted forks (94 KX 250's)

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
The dust seal is the first one. You should be able to pop it off with a screwdriver (carefully)

The oil seal is pressed inplace behind the dust seal, and held in place with a retainer clip.

I don't undertand? Why can't they SEAL, like they are supposed to.

It's just a little inconvenient after every ride wiping oil off your forks!

Does anyone know when measuring the amount of oil in the forks, do you measure 9 cm from the top of fork(until you reach oil), or 9 cm of oil from the bottom?
Thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
To measure the oil, you take out the springs, collapse the fork and then measure from the top of the tube.

Either you have some bad seals on there, or worn parts on the fork shafts and bushings. Once you know the forks are OK, get a different brand of seals. Then use some seal savers.

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
Thanks
I may end up getting some new bushings, but I don't think that was a problem in the first place.

The lower tube doesn't have any scuffing or anything that would contribute to a leaking seal.

If it get's to the point where I'm having to whipe off a lot of oil every ride, I'm going to talk to kawisaki, ask about the seals, and see if I have to pay the 40$ for a new set!

I'll see how it goes

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom