ace402

Mar 13, 2007
144 Owners please reply

This past weekend at Ocotillo Wells I seized my 2000 YZ125 going up Blow Sand Hill. I went up it once without any trouble, 10 minutes later I try again and it locks up half way up the hill. I’m sick of not having reliable power when I need it. Almost everybody I’ve talked to says that 125’s aren’t any good in the sand and people that ride them at the dunes blow a lot of top ends. I’ve thought about just getting a 250 and calling it a day but as I researched I found the 144 kit. Someone said that they saw dyno charts of 39-41 horsepower. I only way 140 lbs and that seems like it would be plenty to haul me around. So now to my question, do I turn my bike into a 144 or just get a 250. I’m in college and on a budget so the big bore $700 vs $3500 for a new used bike. I know I can do one top end a year on a 250, call it good and have all the power for the dunes I want. If I do a 144 can I get away with one top end a season? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance…

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
125 or 144........richen up your main jet. Sand, mud, running wide open is hard on a little motor. I have learned this the hard way. It's nice to have a crisp running motor, but play it safe on a 125.........always go a little fat on the main.

ace402

Mar 13, 2007
I've never actually riden strictly at the dunes before, just small patches of them in the desert in ocotillo wells and around Vegas. I normally ride desert or So Cal tracks. BTW if any of you haven't ridden at Competitive Edge Motocross Park in Hesperia, CA and you live close enough, definitely check it out. It’s by far the best facility I have ridden at to date.

Last edited:

ace402

Mar 13, 2007
Also, if I go with the 144 it will definitely be done by EG.

Eric-seeing that it’ll be your build what are your thoughts?

Thanks again.

Top Bottom