butasan

Nov 25, 2007
I am having a difficulty deciding either I should get a 250(4 stroke) or 450(4 stroke) motocrossor.

I have raced motocross & enduro from 1988 to 1996, and haven't ridden in 10 years, and would like to start riding both track & trail again.

I've had several server injuries from riding 250 2 strokes during the time so my mind is not to get a super powerful ones(250 smoker is out of choice for me). I also enjoyed riding 125 smokers. Then I was thinking about getting a 250 thumper.

Then again I bought a WR450F for desert and trail riding, but not for a track a month ago so I went desert riding with couple of guys I met. That was my first riding in 10 years. My impression was that I felt my WR450 was way to heavy and the suspension was too soft (with usual WR mods:no battery, kick only, no light, AIS removal kit).

I had a chance to ride one of the guy's YZ450F, and surprised with the lightness and quickness. I thought 450 would be too much(just like 250 smokers in the past), but I felt so right and loved it. Then my mind is lean toward to getting another 450(either yz or cr) for a track. The thing is that I rode a 450 on a desert, but not on a track so I wouldn't know how I would've felt if that has been on a track.

Do you guys think that 450 is too much for a track(no race and only fun riding)?

I am 37 and in a great physical condition(5'7, 153LB) from doing years of kickboxing and weight training as well as MTB riding I just started a couple of month ago.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
I think a Honda CRF250R is going to be the most fun in the trails and track. It i not over powered for the track and has enough power for those open sections of trails. I say CRF250R because its super reliable for a late model liquid cooled 4 stroke MXer. The YZ250F and KTM 250SX-F are also really good for reliabillity.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I recently went through the same dilemma worrying whether a 250 4T would be enough bike. I ended up getting the Honda CRF250X(I'm not a track rider) and it is plenty of bike for me. It's no beast, but it's plenty peppy enough for an enjoyable ride. The "R" model has a more aggressive cam and should provide more power. Since you say a 250 2T is out of the question, I'd say that 450 4T, although it has smoother power, is still more than you want.
The thing to assure yourself of, is that a 250 4T is not a "cop out" and you CAN "ride like man" on one. ;)
There are a lot of horsepower junkies around here who will tell you to get the biggest bike you can possibly ride, but I go faster on the 250 for sure. The confidence of riding a more controllable bike more than makes up for bone crushing HP.
BTW - At a mere 153lbs, a 250 4T is big enough to kick your butt if you let it! :nod:

meb5276

Sep 21, 2007
I too was recently in your situation. I am 5'7'' 150lbs and didnt know whether to go with the 250 or 450. I ended up buying a leftover 06 crf250r and I love it. I know it sounds great saying you have a 450 but for your size a 250 is plenty of bike. Many people can actual ride faster on tracks because its lighter and easier to throw around. The 450 seems a lot heavier than it is due to the power (especially in tight turns). Dont get me wrong the 450s are great bikes and have TONS of power but most people can not use all the power anyways and the 450 will wear you out much faster.

I would suggest going to a track and riding both bikes before you decide, but I went with the 250 and I have no regrets.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I am 5'10" and had a Crf450f...... It was too much bike for me. I should have gotten a 250f. I love the 250f's. Lots of fun, plenty fast, and has alot more torque than a 125 2-stroker. ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A 250f is a blast. Get the jetting dialed and they rip. I had a 250t and it was too much bike for me, doing what we do. The 250f works much better, at least doesn't work me as hard to do it. It has ALWAYS gone wherever I point it. I have never ridden a 450.

Whatever you decide, make sure you keep up with the maintenance. With that in mind, a 250f wears quickly so you will have alot of upkeep. As long as you keep up with it it's not that expensive. Factory honda parts are very reasonably priced, I don't know the other brands.

butasan

Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for the inputs guys! Helped me a lot.
I think I will get 250F. Besides that I already own WR450 so it would be wasting to own another 450.

Apr 30, 2007
I'm 5'2 and about 105 give or take a few. My boyfriend has a CRF 450, and he let me try it a few times at the track (No, he didn't let me race it. Yes, I did ask, and Yes, he did have to hold it while I started it).

It is a crazy bike. Insanely fun for short periods of time, but as an all around bike, even he struggles with the power factor.

I'd have to agree with the majority opinion - the 250 would be better. I've only had a few rides on both, but the 250 seems much more versatile when it comes to power.

butasan

Nov 25, 2007
250 or 450

I got me 07' yz250F two month ago. The reason because I got 250 over 450 is that I'm in late 30's(but I am in a superb physical condition) and hadn't ridden a dirtbike in 10 years until two month ago.

For the first month I thought I made a right choice, and I was pretty happy with 250F, but I started feel that 250F is not enough.

There are many jumps I can't clear at tracks I go mostly due to my sloppy riding skills but also 250's not having enough power.

I would need to go dangerously fast to clear those jumps with 250f, but I don't race so that I don't want to go super fast.

I am beginning to think that riding a 250 is not necessarily safer compared to riding a 450.

Should I go get 450?

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
There are many jumps I can't clear at tracks I go mostly due to my sloppy riding skills but also 250's not having enough power.

I would need to go dangerously fast to clear those jumps with 250f, but I don't race so that I don't want to go super fast.[/QUOTE]

Dude, are you being serious ?

You don't want to go super fast, yet you are wanting to know if anyone suggests that you upgrade to a 450 mx bike? I am confused...........but yeah, go for it and keep us informed on how that works out for you.

rtb

Top Bottom