is a 650 too big for a newbie

Jan 10, 2010
i am lookin at buying a 650 dualsport it has a jet kit and a full aftermarket exaust thats all the mods. i race mowers and i ride an yz85 so i can drive clutch. but i take it easy the first month or 2 until get to know the bike and then have the fun, i around 5'11'' and 200 lbs im just worried that ill killmyself with that big of a machine, i have driven 250s and they have some power wondering if this bike will be ok for me. thanks

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Hard to answer your question. If you are riding it on the street, it's probably just fine.

If you are going to learn dirt riding on it, it's way too big and heavy.

My personal preference is for very light weight dirt bikes. I'm 200 pounds, 5ft 10 and a horsepower junkie. However, I just do better with the ultralight bikes. I'm faster, more comfortable and happier. I avoid 650's like the plague. Been there, done that. Not for me.

A great first bike is the KDX 200. But you must know that I like the 2 strokes for the power to weight ratio.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
If you fill out the sticky at the top of the forum, we will be able to give you better suggestions. How old are you? What terrain will you be riding?

At first glance, I would say a 650 dual sport is too much bike for most beginners...but, again, it depends on many factors.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
cujet said:
Hard to answer your question. If you are riding it on the street, it's probably just fine.
If you are going to learn dirt riding on it, it's way too big and heavy.

Gotta agree with cujet. A riding buddy of mine had one of those and we rode together on some single track trails behind my home. He is a very good rider, an ex pro and about your size. The bike thrashed him. He sold it the following week.

Big, tall and very top heavy.

Just my $ .02

Jan 10, 2010
well i have riddin on dirt also before with quads and bikes im 15, i am somewhat of an aggressive driver, i do some mx parks and jumps but i put around some too. also the bike i might be buying is a 1998 suzuki dr650 with 8500 miles

Jan 10, 2010
i frogot to say ill do more dirt until i get my license then ill be driving this to keep the miles down on my truck

Apr 30, 2007
That thing isn't worth it at your age!

Get something you can be aggressive on, and throw around a little. Unless you're 6'7" and 350 pounds, that bike isn't going to be anything remotely flickable.

Pick up a used 250 two stroke. It will have WAY more than enough go, and be a lot cheaper to repair. For the power they put out, the two stroke 250s are very light, and have better suspension. Parts are available for them everywhere, whereas you'll have to look for quite a while longer to find parts for the DR650.

Once you also get your license, you can sell the 250 and pick up a dual sport, or an older street bike without losing much, if any of your invested cash.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with the others on this one, that DR 650 is way too heavy. A guy here at work has one...its a big dual sport, not a MX bike. You would be very disappointed on the track with that bike. A 250 MX bike is alot of power for a 15 year old beginner...I suppose it depends on your skills.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…