fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I know this is a big 2T vs. 4T debate that can go on forever, but I am struggling to make a decision and looking for the right spark to push me over the edge. I started out looking for an XR or other 4T for less than $2200. The forums and opportunities have turned me on to the KDX. I have been pounding me head against the wall trying to decide which bike I want to buy and it has come down to this: a '97 KLX 300 that is stock and needs a rear tire for $2000, or a modified '01 KDX 220 with carb, pipe, fork, graphics mods and should get a piston for $2200, or a '96 KDX 200 with bars, fresh A-loop motor, pipe, and new tire for $1800. All three bikes look to be well maintained and have low hours. I have tugged on and ridden the KDX 220. I like the smooth power of a 4T, but like the nimble feel and easy starting of a 2T. My only worries are that the KDX won't have the low speed puttability that I need when I get scared and try to pick my way through tough sections at a snails pace. I also am smaller (5'6" 175 lbs) so I don't like the idea of throwing 300 lbs around the woods. This is a tough decision and I need help on how to throw my $2200 budget at a bike! Someone make it easier for me! :bang:

Last edited:

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I know that the kdx has a higher ground clearence than a klx, but either way maybe if you can ride them you could give us a testimonial. I would much rather have a kdx than a klx, there is a site out there on the klx's do a google...but I think that the kdx either would be good, get the 220, no worries of a 4 stroke..anyone of them you probably be happy with..ridem and report back

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
If i got the 01 for 1950...id take that. I have a klx with a lowering link for the bike and kx forks. There is no bike better for the woods.

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
Get the KDX220, you won't be disappointed. It will feel lighter (than KLX) and it has plenty of low-end power. Two strokes are also more fun to work on.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
OK now I my head hurts. I took a look around at KTMs, and found some late '90s 2 strokers that are plated in Cali. This would be the best of all worlds. How did the 250/300 exc get plates in California? Is this a descent bike? I think it is a '97 and its yellow? Are these the bikes they call 3 strokes because of their 4 stroke like power delivery?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I am a little confused about the value of the KDX 220. From what I see on Cycle Trader and ****, a 2001 220 with all of the mods (except the piston) looks like a great deal at $2200. The guy will not budge. My only hang up is that this is the top of my budget, and it still should get a piston. As far as the KTM goes, there are 2 1997s. One is a 250 and the other is a 300. I have read up on them, but I still don't understand how they got plates in CA. Can I get some plates for a KDX?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Would either the KDX or KLX have an advantage at 6k ft elevation. I would likely go riding at spots with varying elevation, but sometimes at Sea Level and other times in the Sierras above 6K. Would jetting the 2T vs 4T make a difference in the amount of tinkering I have to do every time I ride?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I am the proud new owner of a 2001 KDX 220! I bought it tonight for $2200 (minus $20 for a broken gas cap) and it is sitting in my garage gleaming. Thanks for all of the input!

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
Good! I just saw this thred for the first time. Last season I was in the exact same dilema KLX or KDX. I was getting back into the sport for the first time in 11 years. I'm 28 now. I had budget of about the same (little more) and bought a '01 KLX 300R. Lets just say less than three months later I bought a '04 KTM 200 EXC (new) and couldn't be any happier. The main guy I ride with has a '04 KDX 220R and is also very happy. He did lots of mods to the KDX some that cost a fair bit and others not so expensive. If you want some input from someone who has done everything except bore out the piston, let me know. He's on the forum and would have lots of good advice.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I think you will love the KDX. They are exelent bikes that can putt forever or win races (yes even in stock form, I know from experence:). It will have plenty of power, I think you will find your self at a distinct advantage over most riders on even more powerfull bikes as they will be worn out and hunting for traction while you motor ahead.

enjoy:)

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
First ride - Perfect Bike

I have another thread going in the KDX forum, but I will say it here too: I took it out in the woods yesterday, and I could not have bought a better bike! I guess the research paid off. I was scepticle of the 2T power and riding technique because I have been riding a loaner CR 125. The KDX rips! The low end lug-ability was awesome, and my confidence soared! Thanks for all of the great advice!

Attachments

• Bike compressed.JPG
    Bike compressed.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 111

Top Bottom