Is buying a used heltmet a good idea?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
i need to get a new helmet soon becuase the one i have now is basically falling apart and the main reason is that i took a good hit to the head with it. Now, i want to get a nice lite helmet like a shoei or an arai but i don't have the cash for them. I've seen a couple helmets on ebay that i like but some of them are used. As long as the helmet hasn't been damaged, is there anything bad about buying someone's used helmet? Should i worry about the padding breaking down from use?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
You will never know what shape a used helmet is in. Get a new Snell approved one, the cheapest ones are not that bad on your wallet.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
MX south is selling the Shoei for about 25% off.
Well, at least they were a few months back.
You can get a plain black or white one for around $300.

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
If you are so determined to get an expensive helmet used you can feel safe after you send it in to the manufacture who will test it for integrity. Most companys will do this for a minimal charge.

I would still go with Anssi's suggestion. A new safe helmet can be had for under a hundred dollars. ;)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You only get one brain, so put a lot of good padding around it. I would go with a new one for the reasons above (you don't know what condition its going to be in). Just because it costs a lot does not mean its better than other models. Shoei and Arai have to meet the same requirements for testing as the less exspensive models do. I don't think that Shoei or Arai go above or beyond the Snell or Dot rating to justify the extra cost. I think that you are mostly paying for a nice paint job. Its not like the less exspensive brands are ten pounds heavier or anything. I doubt that you will notice it much. If they gave me one I sure would wear it. Hey the look cool, but for bashing around were I do I'm not going to spend that kind of dough.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I agree with everyone else - go with a new one. You can get a Bell Moto SL (or many other brands) for around $100 or so. A helmet can look brand new - but ya never know if it took one good blow and the protection shell is no good any more. The only time I really see it okay to buy a used helmet is for someone who is a beginner and going to be riding at REALLY low speeds. Like small children on XR50's for example. If you plan on riding hard - protect your melon!

Natester

Jun 24, 2001
Chaparral is clearing out non-current models of the Fox Pilot for $99-120, which is less than half what they are new. I picked one up last Wednesday, and it's a sweet helmet for an even sweeter price. :)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
MX South is having a sale on HJC CLX3 and CLX4 helmets. Almost any place is have left over sales on helmets.

Would you buy a used bike off ebay without looking at it first?

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by Natester
Chaparral is clearing out non-current models of the Fox Pilot for $99-120, which is less than half what they are new. I picked one up last Wednesday, and it's a sweet helmet for an even sweeter price. :)

That must be over. I just looked at the website and their "closeout" prices were $299 for the Fox Pilot's from last year, and $ 229 for the Answer M8's -- the same price as the 2002's!:mad:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
ok, so i guess the used helmet is a bad idea. I got another question, has any one ever bought a helmet through mail order sight unseen? Are the sizing charts that they give acurrate?

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
I peronally don't trust the sizing charts they give, although I bet they are accurate. I bought my helmet by mail order after trying on some helmets of the same brand at the local shop then I bought the size I needed from the mail order and saved myself some money.

See, those local dealers are good for something.;)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I agree with Dirteater.

If its riding gear or a helmet, I go try it on at a dealership first. If they can match the mail order prices, I'll puy it and pay sales tax, if not, I got order the same thing.

Good Luck.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I did the exact same thing .........went to the biggest local dealer.....selected my gear........found the correct size.....when they would not give me a discount.......placed order online.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I'm in the same situation as Casper250 is. I took a mean fall on my helmet back in December and haven't relly been riding since then and I plan on using my old helmet for riding. If I had the money sure I would love to buy a $150 helmet but I got no money for anything right now. :whiner:

PhantomRider

Mar 6, 2002
Chaparral is clearing out non-current models of the Fox Pilot for $99-120, which is less than half what they are new. I picked one up last Wednesday, and it's a sweet helmet for an even sweeter price.

I thought it looked like a pretty good deal myself, so I ordered one too. However, it's been back ordered for the last 3 weeks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…