Is Chaparral the King of poor custome service?

74Rallye

Apr 30, 2003
Sorry to whine on my first post to this board, but Chaparral just hosed me. The person taking my order made a typo on the part # for a front sprocket so now I have a new 520 rear sprocket and chain and a 518 front sprocket. OK, mistakes happen but now they require that I pay $10.00 shipping for a $9.96 front sprocket! I've already paid shipping once and now, due to their incompetence I'm suppose to pay shipping to return the wrong part as well as pay to ship the correct part again. I think Ill return the whole order and be done with them.
I'm still looking for a internet/mail order supplier that doesn’t try to put one over on customers. Any suggestions?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Rock Mountain ATV has always supplied as ordered in a timely fashion, but I have ordered from Chapparral and never had a problem either. I order on line, which I think would help limit the screw ups.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
on the rare occasions that i use mail order, i almost always use rocky mountain. never had a problem with them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
MXSouth or Service Honda have ALWAYS treated me right! Crapparal has bent me over once before by making a mistake on their end and telling me I had to pay for the shipping back to them so I refuse to deal with them. Customer service is not in their vocabulary. Just because they take out the biggest ads in the magazines doesn't mean they are the best, just the most desperate.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
my only dealing with chaparral was trying to get a catalog. 4 months and 3 attempts later I finally got one. Never did order anything just for the reason they couldn't even handle that simple task :|

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
Rocky Mountain has excellant service AND shipping. It is not a rare occasion for me to shop online with the amount of money you can save, especially with several riders under this roof! Anyway I would choose Rocky first in my book and if they dont have it then I would go to MXSouth.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by Moto Squid
my only dealing with chaparral was trying to get a catalog. 4 months and 3 attempts later I finally got one. Never did order anything just for the reason they couldn't even handle that simple task :|

I ordered a catalog 2 years in a row and never got either one!

As others have said, MXSouth is a very good pick. I have also had excellent results from Bobs Cycle Supply.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Bob's customer service? Hows this for service.
I ordered some Bieffe boots and on my first ride they ripped, but really it was not a factor of poor workmanship, just poor quality.
Bob's paid for the shipping back and I wanted to upgrade to Fox boots. They gave me a full refund on the boots and paid for the fox boots shipping.
Thats is customer service beyond the norm.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I have had good luck with Dennis Kirk, Bobscycle, and Rockymountain. Those are the only three I deal with on mail order. I usually go to Dennis Kirk first because they have free shipping for orders over a $100 and will price match any other deal you find. Plus they are only two days shipping from me. Rockymountan is great also, but they are a week away from me for shipping so they are usually the last call.

I have heard from others that Chaparral is bad so I never call them. I have used their website for quotes to Dennis Kirk on pricing.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Chaparral "customer service" really pissed me off as well. I called for technical help on ordering a spark arrestor mufler - what would fit my older Honda. They said the FMF would bolt right on - no cutting fitting or welding. I ordered one, and sure enough, I had to cut, fit and weld to get it to fit. They have no clue.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
No Chapparal for me EVER again.

My favorites are:

Motosport Outlet - great service, good prices can get almost anything, free shipping.
Service Honda - best place for Honda parts IMO
Dennis Kirk - stuff usually in stock and fast shipping/good service, free shipping
Rocky Mountain - good prices and no problems so far

Had my first experience with MX South and all went well.

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
I emailed Chapparal a link to this thread. :eek:

Who knows maybe thet will pipe-in here and offer to correct 74Rallye's problem. At the time of writing this post there have been 291 views to this thread so maybe Chapparall may be interested in it.

Last edited:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
They have a long history of poor customer service. I seriously doubt they care or they would have fixed the problem long ago. How can any business charge shipping for their errors and not know EXACTLY what they are doing? They just don't care and as long as people shop there they will continue to operate under status quo.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I returned a pipe to Dennis Kirk and they claimed they never received it. I had insured the package and had to go through almost the entire process before some one at Kirk got a clue and said they had received it a month prior. A classic example of people not communicating well inside their own organization. Also the boxes they use are too flimsy. Once I got a ball with tape wound around instead of a box look. I tend to use dennis kirk as a last resort.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I have order from both Rocky Mtn and MX South very pleased with them. :thumb:

74Rallye

Apr 30, 2003
Hey tedkxkdx,
Good point about packaging. The rear sprocket that I recieved from Chaparral had about 6 teeth sticking out of each side of the box!

MSracer

~SPONSOR~
Feb 5, 2003
I use Dennis Kirk usually as they have online inventory so I know if it is in stock. Rocky Mountain has it too but they are a little farther away so shipping is more of a time delay than DK , they are my 2nd choice so far. I have place one order with MX-South , no problems but not the quickest I have ordered from. GoPartsDirect has good prices and I have tried them a couple times lately with no problems but they too are farther away which increases the waiting time for my parts.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
MonkeyButtparts.com has been good to me. Got me a killer deal on a pair of Tech 8's. He misquoted the shipping to me for 2 day air (he told me it would be about $15, it was closer to $40) and ate the extra cost. I was very impressed with that.

MXSouth.com is great to deal with.

Don't really use Rocky Mountian, don't particularly care for their website and the way it's layed out.

Motoworldracing.com has great deals from time to time. That's where I get all my goggles. Smith Speed style for like $20! Hard to beat that.

Yall are all forgetting one thing about Chaparral, the catalog is great if you can get one. It's got just about any part you'd be looking for with a part number. It also has good pictures. That's about all I've used it for the past couple of year.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
This thread comes up about once a year, they really do have poor customer service and their sales department has something to be desired. They hosed me on numerous parts purchases, sending the wrong ones, holding entire orders because one part is not in and not telling me this and not wanting to pay shipping back for wrong orders.

Their sales department burned me big on my purchase in 2001, I had an out the door price already established, cashier's check written for the amount, then come to find out, they decided they couldn't sell it for that amount when I got there. I called my local shop while standing in the salesman's office, Tag Motorsports, and asked them if they would do the deal and they said no problem. I left and have never returned since, for parts or bikes. That about covers it, this Elk will never migrate into Chaparral ever again.;)

Keep sending them this link because it'll be up to 5 pages in about a day.

Top Bottom