Is flatlanding like this bad for my CR?

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Hey all,

Recently I have been jumping out of a Dam, and flatlanding my 03 CR250 out of it.   I don't get very high, would not me more than say 6-8 feet but get long, my longest being 94 foot.  My question is how bad would this be for my CR's frame and suspension.  My front suspension dosn't bottom and dosn't feel like its about to, infact it feels very safe, but I think my rear may be, even though I can't feel it.  Also my suspension has been dialed in for my weight.

The reason im asking this is that this is the first bike that I have ever been able to jump like this, have only owned enduro machines before this.

Should my bike be able to take this ok, or should I call it a day with this flatlanding stuff and stick to those tabletops? I am planning to sell it in a few months for an 04 Model so I want to keep her in good nick :yeehaw:

Oh btw, a vid of my jumping out of it can be found below, although now I go a few more feet, I think I was jumping about 80 at that time from memory.

http://www.fmxaustralia.com/~hardcore_cr/jimjams.mpg

Thanks

Jim :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Can't get the link to work. If you're jumping that far, it's not really the type of a flat landing that causes pain and damage. You are moving forward and not coming straight down with no forward vector. The latter is the crushing flat landing that will get your attention. :eek:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Hey,
That was a nice piece of video. Since it is still cold here, that got me all fired up to want to ride.....now if the weather would co operate.

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks Smit for pointing out the error in my link and Ritch for fixing it in my origional post :thumb:

Comments sound good, looks like ill be going for 100ft this weekend if this wind holds off :).

Oh and KDX, u should move to Australia, we get to ride every day of the year ;)

Thanks

Jim :laugh:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Be careful, a freind of mine just replaced the frame on his 01 yz250f, he misjudged a 75' tabletop and landed in the flat from about 15' up.. It cracked at one of the welds right above the cylinder..
RIck

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Hrrm, well I suppose if you look at this jump like a tabletop your actually landing on top of the tabletop right?   I know what u mean tho :eek:

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
dont worry, your not landing that hard, trust me. If anyones frame should be broke, it should be mine. I have busted my xr200 frame in 3 places on some jumps. My cr frame is solid, plus we have some hard landing jumps around here, and with my big butt on it, mine would be the first frame to be broke.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
When your frame spits in two pieces then you know you're landing too hard.

Seriously, the bike is made to take very hard abuse. It can probably take much more than your body can. I have never seen a bike get broken by a jump without a broken rider.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
did you ever take a serious look at you frames welds. It would take A heck of alot of force to break one. IMO youll blow the back shock(in high and hard jumping conditions) before you ever break the frame.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom