Is Millsaps better/faster than he thinks??

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I watch Davi get holeshot after holeshot and I watch him ride and get passed and get passed and passed. A few observations:

1. The dude is fast when he wants to be, but he HAS to be more aggressive!! He lets people go by sometimes, then he ends up on their back wheel for the following few laps or so, almost like he let them go by, realized that he is just as fast, if not faster and doesn't have the balls to make it by.

2. The dude has to learn the Bubba Scrub. He has been passed a few times in the air, and losing countless seconds on so many jumps that he takes like the riders did 10 years ago. Sometimes he does it, but it seems like if he isn't racing anyone next to him, he gets sort of lazy on the jumps (ironically, when he has someone next to him on the ground, he gets lazy on the ground).

3. It is obvious by his starts and how much he weighs that his bike is Faaaaaast!!!! Use the power. Maybe he is still getting use to the 450, but someday he has to learn how to ride closer to the limit and use all the power.

4. He also needs to work on his endurance!!

5. He has to have MORE confidence in his own ability.

I honestly think that if he wouldn't pay attention to who is around him (bubba and RC) and had more aggression, and endurance he has the pure TALENT to race with anyone, maybe even with Bubba and RC.

We need more guys at the front, esp since RC is leaving us, so I hope he figures it out by next year.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure who else he needs to beat in his rookie season on a 450 to impress you. Heres his overall finishes outdoors so far this season 9-3-3-9-5-3-2-4-9-4. Three 9th place finishes were the results of rd1 likely nerves on the big bike, rd 4 bike troubles or crash in second moto can't recall and then rd9 Millville which was a mudfest. Other than those three rounds I'd suggest he's had a great outdoors. He'll also finish the season in thrid place for points ahead of Stewart barring troubles at either of the last 2 rounds.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
Millsaps is a very talented rider. In some ways he reminds me a bit of a young Windham.

I think right now the fact that he's an 18-year old rookie has a lot to do with why he cannot hang with RC and Bubba longer. And at this stage he's getting passed by Windham pretty regularly. Experience counts for a lot.

I think it is his mental focus that is a bit down, and probably his physical endurance in comparison. I think he's playing it smart. He's a rookie, he's the future of team Honda right now, and there is no reason to push himself beyond his comfort level to the danger point.

Nothing good will come out of him getting hurt trying to run RC's pace for a full moto. The best thing he can do is follow as long as possible and learn as much as possible.

If I'm Team Honda Management I'm thrilled with the way he's progressed. I'd probably push him a little harder once the SX season starts.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Complain if hung with a NEW rope much? Sheeesh

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I think he is doing better than most people expected. I think next season he's going to be a real threat for the top spot.

Steve

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
Now that he is used to the bike, he will do good in supercross where he excells a bit more.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I'm thinking it'll be just as good next year, if not better. I watched the Racerxfilms video of Washougal and he scrubs jumps just fine, you'll see.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…