Is my rear wheel bearing going out?

jmonintwo

Jan 5, 2008
Hey guys...when you put the bike up on a stand, you can move the rear wheel side-to-side just a little bit....it's not bad (I guess), just enough to make a little clicking noise. Is there supposed to be a little play or are the bearings going out? thx

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like one or both bearings are going out. Usually the one on the sprocket side goes first, but its hard to tell just rocking it.

Time to get it replaced, as complete failure can result in needing a new hub.

Getting the old bearing out can be a real challenge with hand tools. If it puts up a fight, IMO, it's a job worth paying a local shop to do. They'll probably heat the hub up with a torch and use a hydraulic press to get the old bearing out.

jmonintwo

Jan 5, 2008
Thanks guys....IT IS THE BEARINGS

So I had a little play in the rear wheel. I took it off, took off the caps and grease seals and there they were....worn bearings. I could put my finger in the hole and try to spin them and could feel the grit and wear in them. Took the forum's advice, soaked them in WD for a while, took my time and slowly and evenly heated the hub with a propane torch, stick a large screwdriver though, lightly tapped with a 2lb sledge and it only took about 10 gentle licks for the old ones to pop right out! Froze the new bearing while I slowly heated the hub again and the new bearings dropped right in a few gentle taps. Put it all back together and I'm off. Thanks KDX Forum!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
What?! No getting impatient and pounding them so hard you left the inner race in the hub? Taking your time and doing it right... what is this place coming to? :-)

Congratulations on getting them out with little trouble.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
jmonintwo said:
So I had a little play in the rear wheel. I took it off, took off the caps and grease seals and there they were....worn bearings. I could put my finger in the hole and try to spin them and could feel the grit and wear in them. Took the forum's advice, soaked them in WD for a while, took my time and slowly and evenly heated the hub with a propane torch, stick a large screwdriver though, lightly tapped with a 2lb sledge and it only took about 10 gentle licks for the old ones to pop right out! Froze the new bearing while I slowly heated the hub again and the new bearings dropped right in a few gentle taps. Put it all back together and I'm off. Thanks KDX Forum![/QUO

tighten up your spokes while you are changing the bearings :cool:

chrisp80

Jun 5, 2008
shop press?

what does this great shop press look like. I need to change my bearings and wanted to do it right. WWhere would I buy this press and is it expensive?

I did the linkage bearings with hand tools and boy did that stink. This is great advice.

Thanks. ;)

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
First time I broke out my 04 last season, I went 10 feet and heard a loud "Sqwueeeling shrill" noise, I thought the back brake was locking up, turns out the bearings were shot, sprocket side frozen solid!

Bike did not have THAT many miles, water must have settled in there over the winter.

I purchased a universal bearing puller (Pit Posse I think), as I didn't want to screw up the hub, searched this site for info, and did the job myself, no big deal. I think I used Pj's penatrating oil too. Putting the new bearings in the freezer really worked well on the install!

I pressed them in using a large threaded rod, from my bicycle headset tool. You can make one easily, find a threaded rod that fits the axel holes closely, use large flat washers (or the old bearings) and nuts that fit (duh), and tighten the nuts to pull it all in. Do one side at a time, easier to make sure the bearing is going in straight.

If you grind a slot (dremel) in the outer race of the old bearing, it won't get stuck in the race when using it for a "press" tool.

I recently used a Park Bicycle race removal tool to knock out the headset races on my KLX400. Park makes on for Motos. but the bike one worked too!

Park tool website has a lot of info, and How to section. Have fun!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom