Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
1) your physical size? 5"11 (still growing) 150-160lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Not very agressive yet, I only hit small jumps and get 15 feet in distance.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods, fields and eventually MX.

4) Do you have any riding experience? Im keeping my friends xr100 for him, im on it every day.

5) Do you think you will race ? In a few years

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Nope

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice? 2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? No dealers, im going to get a used one.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2000 tops.

10) Do you live in California?No

11) Your age? 13

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?
I've rode a xr100 for about 24hrs riding time. and i've rode a ttr 230 no problem at all for mabye 10 mins.

Is the ttr 230 and cr125 seat height generally the same? or is one more then the other?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
From what I have read, I believe the 125s are close to 37" and the TTR is close to 34"

The CR125 is a motocross racing bike...the TTR is more of an enduro bike. You will find that the XR and TTR are both very tame compared to the CR125. 125 motocross bikes have very peaky power that comes on quick and they rev very high. Depending on your skills, you may or may not be ready for a CR125.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's a steep learning curve. If you have some open fields or something you can play around in for a while until you get feel for it you'll probly do fine. Don't worry about seat height, you're tall enough for a full sized bike.

Have you found a cr125?

Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
So basicly you guys are saying that the cr 125 will take some learning around my yard? (In the country lots of room) How long should it take me to get used to it until i can try wheelies and jumps? I'll be on it every day for a hour minium.

Thanks!
Chizzholm.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
We really cant say because we havent seen you ride. Some riders pick it up quick and some dont. The "hit" of a CR125 will be 10 times that of the XR100...you had better be expecting that when you ride it for the first time.

Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
I appreciate the help. I'll take a video of me riding tomorrow, will that give you guys a better idea? I just don't want to go look at a used cr125 and as soon as I take it for a test ride I flip straight on my ass, i'd look like a fool.

Thanks!
Chizzholm.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
_JOE_ said:
Just use some caution and common sense. Your right wrist decides your fate.

I agree, you just have to ease into it. You say there is plenty of room to it should not be a big deal. If you choose the CR125 route be sure and not sit too far back when getting used to it and ease into the throttle and not snap it until you get the hang of it. You will find yourself riding different on this bike than the other. In an open field it will not take long to get used to. As far as how long until you are doing wheelies, twist the throttle too quick the first time and it will instantly do one for you :laugh: . Everyone will learn at a different pace or atleast get comfortable at a different pace. I love to go fast and do wheelies, on a track I am not quite as comfortable as most so I am still learning.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, sit forward on the seat. Use the clutch to keep the bike from taking off without you. If you accidently whack the throttle it will probly stand right up at which point you begin to slide back and apply full throttle which flips you over. If you simply grab the clutch as it comes up it will drop right back and you can regain control. Once you get comfortable you'll learn to use the clutch to keep the motor spinning and control how much goes to the wheel. Few people are capable of riding a 125 on the pipe anywhere but an open feild or road. They are very quick with a light rider.

Mfillhart13

Oct 8, 2009
I would get something like the cr 125 or an rm 125, i am 15 and have an rm 125 and wont be outgrowing it to soon. Also the yz 125 is a nasty bike.

Top Bottom