natedog

Dec 11, 2004
Im 5'6 about 170, and was wondering if the honda xr75 would be too small to ride seriously, like as a only bike that I could take pretty much anywhere and have fun. Im not really into big power but would like it to climb hills at a decent speed. Or the honda elsinore cr125m........ :)

Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
I have a 1974 Xr75 that i learned on, and im now 15 and have an 04' Cr85 and getting to a 125 soon. When i got my 85 i didnt ride my 75 for months, then when i finally rode it for the hell of it (on a motocross track) i was shocked, i was bottoming HARD on 2 ft high jumps,and i have good KYB's on back! The Xr75 is a really fun bike to ride, but i wouldnt consider it as a bike to go out and do some good hard riding on, especially considering your height and weight. Now the Elsinore 125... I love that bike, always wanted one. I think that would be a much better bike for you. It has good power, fits you better than the 75, and has more suspension than it too. Try looking into the elsinore :cool:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
An XR75 isn't enough bike for you. You'll beat the poor thing to death riding it.

A vintage Elsinore might not be the best choice either, only because it's a vintage bike and parts are harder to come by than they are for something newer.

A newer XR200 might be a better choice. The XRs are stone ax reliable and the 200 is more of an adult-sized bike so you won't be abusing it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree with the previous posters about the XR75. It's a great pit bike or tons of fun for riding around the local vacant lot. But it will not serve you well on a 'real' trail ride or MX track. We flogged my little brother's '75 XR75 for years and had many good times. But an XR75 probably makes less than 10 hp, and it would be hard pressed to pull a 150 lb. rider up any kind of serious hill.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yeah, my neighbor has a 1975ish XR75 he bought for his kids and he's taken it and rode along with me and a few other guys on trail rides (he doesn't have a bike himself, so it was that or nothing). Yes, it eventually gets there, but we spent a lot of time waiting for him. In addition, bumps and such that my CR absorbs without notice are brutally abusive on the poor little XR. I'm talking about riding over a small rut, not skying 80' double jumps. Steep hillclimbs are out of the question, unless you consider dog-paddling the bike up the hill while barely moving as acceptable.

I'm quite sure that a summer of that treatment and that XR would be a pile of junk. If it even took that long.

Top Bottom