D_K

Mar 23, 2009
Hey guys,
So im looking to bring this beast back to life. The bike still runs and the wheels still go round but i would like to rebuild it but im not sure were to start.

I would like to get a completely new engine for it, but i dont know how to figure out how big i can go before it wont fit in the frame.

Im also wondering what other "new" parts i could put on this bike, could i put new forks on it? or would i have to try and find a pair of the originals.

I tried going to my local honda dealer but there no help AT ALL, and the shop that i used to go to isnt open anymore so im somewhat lost atm.

Thanks in advance.

subychris91ss

Apr 12, 2009
D_K said:
Hey guys,
So im looking to bring this beast back to life. The bike still runs and the wheels still go round but i would like to rebuild it but im not sure were to start.

I would like to get a completely new engine for it, but i dont know how to figure out how big i can go before it wont fit in the frame.

Im also wondering what other "new" parts i could put on this bike, could i put new forks on it? or would i have to try and find a pair of the originals.

I tried going to my local honda dealer but there no help AT ALL, and the shop that i used to go to isnt open anymore so im somewhat lost atm.

Thanks in advance.
i have a 82 that i am fixing up and have been looking into putting similar year cr forks and rear swing arm on it looks like it will fit but are not easy to find but that may be something to consider due to availability of the parts because of the ahmra racing good luck

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey DK, I had a 1980 xl185 and found lots of used parts on ebay(but be careful!!). My local Honda shop was able to get most of the original parts I needed. Check "Bikebandit" on the internet as well. Good luck! flap

D_K

Mar 23, 2009
hey guys, just got another question, i cant find a complete exhaust system for my bike because i couldnt find out the proper sizing, could anyone give me any advice on getting this info or maybe what exhaust you guys found worked.

and also if i was looking to put a new engine in it instead of rebuilding it how big could i go? am i looking at finding a 200 or maybe a 250?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Do you realize that once you rebuild the bike, you will most likely have way more invested than it is worth? This is especially true if you create a "frankenbike" with a larger engine. If you plan to keep it forever and never sell it and/or it holds some sentimental value, that is a different story. However, if you think you may sell it in the future, you will likely lose alot of money. I have experience with investing more in bikes than they are worth. On the Frankenbike topic, there was a guy here in Dallas selling a CR125 frame, forks, etc with a 200 4 stroke mounted in it. He was selling it on Craigslist..I watched it, and it took about 6-8 weeks to sell and he got alot less than the original asking price.....just something to think about.

D_K

Mar 23, 2009
oh for sure man, it does hold some sentimental value im definitly not buildin her up to sell the it.
its kind of my long term project and im just gathering info atm, my current project is a 1978 kz400 thats just about complete (turned it into a cafe race bike)

Top Bottom