Mar 25, 2006
i am 5 foot 8, 145 pounds, im currently riding a klx 125l, i outgrew my bike the day i bought it, i only ride trails and need a bigger bike, i have ridden a 125, and a 250f and they seemed quik and had alot of power. does the kdx have similar power? is the power the same but easier delivered? how does it handle in the woods? is it the same seat hieght as a 125 or 250f? is it easy enough to ride in tight rocky trails? any help much appreciated, also how is the maintnence, how often do they need a new top end? what maitnence will i have to do that i dont have to do on my klx?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Every single one of your questions have been posted by tentative owners, all possesing the same needs and demands for a trial bike. Do an engine search on this forum and you will see page after page of endorsements.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
No apologies needed. We are a friendly and patient group here. Its just by using a search engine, you can more quickly and efficiently gain your answer, as opposed to awaiting a response. A definite advantage if time is critical say when a great buy is pending.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
I am 5' 6" and I have an '88 kdx200. The only other adult bike in our family is a crf150. The kdx is way more powerful, very snappy. Kdx top ends are less frequent than mx'ers in general. Kdx's are pretty bulletproof for two strokes. They are easy to ride. They have good bottom in general. They don't stall that easily. I find the crf150 easier to ride in tight stuff, but I am shorter than you and the crf is kinda gutless. But it is fun to putt around on. My kdx has more power than I ever use top end wise. I am 35 and I don't ride a whole lot. I have had my kdx 2 yrs and I definitely have not outgrown it. The maintenance has been low, even though mine is old old. The only thing I have replaced is the stator, air filter, spark plug etc...

Mostly what I do though is follow or watch my 7 and 8 year old ride their PW80's.

IMO -- KDX is a great step up for ya.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The KDX is TALL. For your purpose I would recommend it. Two Srokes are easier n cheaper to maintain (Engine Wise) and the KDX will be much more forgiving, with your learning curve coming from a KLX125. An MXer could throw you into shock while trying to learn in the woods.

Mar 25, 2006
wow thank you for the quik responses, if i ride once or twice a week, or about 6-7 times a month how long will it be before i need a new top end? do they stand right up in all gears?

Mar 25, 2006
just how much power do these bikes have? just for comparison will they wheelie in all gears without dropping the clutch? what is the stock suspension set for can it be adjusted down to someone of my weight (145)

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Front stock spring should be fine for your weight, the rear are sprung towards a 180lb. rider. Will it wheelie, YES. But that should not be a deciding factor. Power it will pull you just fine and then some.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
harobikerider56 said:
ya power deffinetly isnt my deciding factor i just wanted to know out of curuiosity, u know i like to pull wheelies on the road riding to the trails

I weigh 195 and mine will wheelie easily 1st & 2nd, I think 3rd too, but defitely not 4th or 5th.

A kx500 will wheelie in all 5 gears. kdx200, maybe just 1st -3rd... but i don't know,,, I don't ride in 4th or 5th much.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
My 220 will pull 4th no problem, 5th at that speed I am worried about keeping rubber to the ground, so I don't know.
I have a FMF Gnarly Rev w/TBC2, 35mm carb, VF3, running 91-93 octane @ 40:1 Golden Spectro.
I'm curious to see how it pulls once the RB Carb & Head Mod are done.
The VF3, you can really feel the pull from low/mid to mid/high and it does not rev out as quick. Defininetly a great after market product outside of the FMF setup

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
My 200 will wheelie easily in 1st to 3rd , fourth maybe with a good bounce on the seat .
These bikes are geared longer than mxers for enduro purposes . With a MX bike gearbox you would probably wheelie through all the gears .

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
harobikerider56 said:
just how much power do these bikes have? just for comparison will they wheelie in all gears without dropping the clutch? what is the stock suspension set for can it be adjusted down to someone of my weight (145)

You need to go ride one. Find one for sale locally and go take it for a test spin. They are not the latest ergos & design...not light by aluminum framed standards, but if you are 100% trail rider, then I would 100% believe that it is the bike you are looking for...especially if you like 2strokes.

Mar 25, 2006
well the only 2 smoke i have ridden was an 04 yz 125, the rest were 250fs, one of my friends has one and if i go riding with him this weekend he will let me take it for a ride, its a 91 kdx 200

Top Bottom