MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Hi all.. I went to a local Kawi dealership and talked with the owner for a bit.. After telling him what I was thinking about doing with the bike (explained below) he suggested the KDX200 (they had a leftover 2003 which he could sell to me for a good deal)...

Some information about myself.. Im 23, I weigh a hefty 195lbs and Im 6'1" tall.. I haven't rode since I was around 13 years old so its been awhile..

Type of riding.. Im going to be doing a combination of trail riding and MX riding.. I prefer MX style riding but the trails are closer to my house so I will ride the trails whenever I have the chance..

My main concern is that I get a bike that has a good enough suspension so Im happy on the track.. I saw some people modify the suspension but I don't want to buy a new bike and then sink lots of money into mods.. How much money would a different suspension cost to keep me happy on the track? It just seems as though a stock KDX200 won't keep me happy on the track once I start aiming for doubles..

Comments and thoughts are welcome.. Oh.. Money.. I would like to keep it under $5000 and new.. Thanks for the help..

ncskier

Mar 25, 2004
It sounds as though your dealer just wants to unload his '03. I'm wondering why else he would recommend a kdx over a kx, yz, or whatever. Your concerns about the suspension are totally justified for the motorcross riding you have described. You should be able to find something to better suit your needs for around 5K.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
If you constantly want to tweak, tune and massage the bike, or enjoy the challenge of spanking MXers on a woods bike, then perhaps..

If you just want to ride the track, get an MXer; The KDX is intrinsically out of its element on the track without a good going through.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
ncskier said:
It sounds as though your dealer just wants to unload his '03. I'm wondering why else he would recommend a kdx over a kx, yz, or whatever. Your concerns about the suspension are totally justified for the motorcross riding you have described. You should be able to find something to better suit your needs for around 5K.

I agree, KDX on an MX track is doable, but why? Much easier to make a MX bike work on the occasional trail ride than make a trail bike survivable on a full blown MX track on a regular basis.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
MayhemInNY said:
...Some information about myself.. Im 23, I weigh a hefty 195lbs and Im 6'1" tall...Type of riding.. Im going to be doing a combination of trail riding and MX riding.. I prefer MX style riding...

Mayhem,

For all of the reasons cited above, it sounds like the KDX is not for you.

With the exception of money A KTM200 or a CRF250X might be more suited to your needs.

I see that you posted the same info in another thread (a newbie no-no). The XR250 and DRZ are even further from your requirements.

Look at used bikes. If you don't know what you want, why drop all of that coin on a new bike. Did you budget $500 or more for riding gear? For $2,000 to $4,000 you can get just about anything you want, including gear. Look for bikes that are between 1 and 2 seasons old. This leaves you with a little money to bring the bike up to "like new" condition.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks guys.. The guy that owns the dealership is a friend of a friend.. And he was just saying since Im going to be re-learning on the bike a KDX200 would more then suit my needs, but I think the problem would be once i learn how to ride I would outgrow the bike.. He was saying he would have no problem selling me the 125 or 250F but said why spend the extra money when this will do the trick and be more then enough.. Im sure at first the 200KDX would be a fine for me, but as I progress as a rider its pretty obvious by your responses that I wouldn't be 100% happy..

rv6junkie... I did price in about $700 for riding gear.. I plan on getting everything (helmet, boots, pants, chest protector, knee pads..etc) Im kinda shying away from a used bike because I don't want to end up with someone elses problems.. I figured if I could find an 03 I could save some money that way.. I did find an 03 CR125 which is brand new.. They reduced the price from 5000 to $4499 and its out of state so the guy said no sales tax.. :) Reading everyones response Im thinking about heading back and buying the thing as long as thats considered a good deal.. :) Thanks again for everyones help, you certainly made things a lot easier..

Now for that 125.. how does $4499 OTD sound? :laugh:

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
This is not meant to be critical of your question - but you have to decide what you want to do first.

That being said - it is alot easier and cheaper to make an MX bike into a trail bike than a KDX into a MX bike.

It sounds as if one of the new MX bikes is more or less what you are looking for - but they are not $5K;(

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
$4,499 OTD is a very good deal. Now stop yappin' and start ridin'!

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
sold to the little fat boy in the corner.. Im heading over there tomorrow to put a deposit down unless I can get approved for finance, but with a part time job I doubt it..

Thanks again for all the help guys.. :yeehaw:

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
A 99 and up kx250 would be the bomb. When you start converting to more mx less trails, you start to get out of the kdxs element, plus your tall and over 190lbs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom