Is the OEM reed stops needed?

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
I just rebuilt the top end on my 2000 KDX200 and noticed that the reed block does not have the OEM reed stops anymore and is using some after market dual stage reeds.
The service manual shows that there should be reed stops installed. Is this really needed? What is the purpose of reed stops (other than the obvious)? If I choose to install Boyesen "Super Stock" single stage reeds will I need to get some reed stops then?

Feedback is greatly appreciated...thanks! :worship: :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Bizerk said:
I just rebuilt the top end on my 2000 KDX200 and noticed that the reed block does not have the OEM reed stops anymore and is using some after market dual stage reeds.
The service manual shows that there should be reed stops installed. Is this really needed? What is the purpose of reed stops (other than the obvious)? If I choose to install Boyesen "Super Stock" single stage reeds will I need to get some reed stops then?

Feedback is greatly appreciated...thanks! :worship: :thumb:

I think all of the Boyesen reeds require the removal of the stock reed stops. Boyesen supplies a thin metal strip that replaces it. You should really pick up either the #607 Torque Reeds or the Pro Series Reeds. The Super Stock reeds are well, like stock. Might as well upgrade to something better while you've got it apart.

-Maurice

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
i have power reeds in my 91 kdx. they improve throttle reponse a good bit. you can use the stock reed stops but i recommend the ones that come with the dual stage reeds because they give you some extra fuel flow when you're in the higher revs of the engine.

Top Bottom