Is the WER damper an inferior product?

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Hey all!

I'm really jivin on the WER damper because it lets my crossbar pad do it's job, and it cheaper than the others. (I know you can set up a Scotts or GPR with a crossbar pad but I'd need new bars for that.)

My question is... is the WER damper an inferior product compared to Scotts or GPR? I'm talking quality wise, not functionally. Are the parts top notch and precise? After looking at one, it didn't appear to be as quality as others. But then agan I AM ONLY going off of first impression looks. From what I've read it's a great product and I bet it works well. Just the components just don't look as nice as Scotts.

Any comments? I'm really on the hunt for a damper. These desert rocks are getting better at cammoflauging themselves every day. :-)

~JuGGz

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I have used all three, WER, Scott's, and GPR. Each has a little different approach to achieving the same thing. That being said, I didn't find much, if any, difference in any of the dampers when I got them set up to my satisfaction. The WER does the job. When I set up the WER for me, I found I needed to use more adjustment than the Scott's to feel comfortable. But, that can be modified by the weight of oil used in the damper. Presently, I am using a GPR which I prefer because of the one big knob for adjusting on the fly. It is not any better than the others, it just fits my needs better.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've also had WER and Scotts. Both work great - no complaints about either. The WER can be rebuilt if you wear it out.

Doesn't matter much what brand you get, just get one! There are 3 things every offroad bike should have: Dialed in suspension, correct jetting, and a steering damper. It is a 'must', IMO.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Ok guys thanks a lot! Looks like I'll be picking up a WER. Wait, I still can't decide. Those scotts and GPR's just look so cool. ARrgh!

~JuGGz

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have seen the Scotts mounted above the front fender, just like the WER. You might look into that if you decide to go with the scotts.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Ok thanks for the exta info. Enduro_Nut, why is it that you're switching back to the WER for woods riding? With full ranges of adjustability on the Scotts it seems that they'd be about the same?

~JuGGz

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The WER starts sooner on the damping stroke and I would rather have the damper on the front fender.
The Scotts has a farther range of motion which in most situations work better(i.e. - desert,etc.)
My thing is tight terrain...and thats why I'm a NUT!

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The WER you just set and forget it's there. The bad thing is you have to cut the crap out of your headlite.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I would not havee a WER.I don't like the design,I think its inferior,cheaply made,built to a lesser pricepoint,prone to being damaged easier, and I don't like it RIVITED TO THE FRAME> Don't be cheap get the best ...SCOTTS. I have used all three.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've got the Scotts. My husband has a WER on his (currently seized) KTM360. He prefers the Scotts.
As for having to get a new set of handlebars due to the crossbar, I've got a bent crossbar, taken off an old set of bars & bent to accommodate the damper. This gets moved as I replace bars (not often, but I've bent a couple of 'em now lol).
Hope that helps some

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
How come noone has metioned the RTT... not that the original poster asked but this seems to be turning into a thread about all types of dampers. I have always used a WER. It never seemed to make a difference in the the handling of my bike at all until I removed it! Then I really noticed it wasn't there. I have nothing to compare it to but I have to say the WER damper is a great product. That being said, I plan to eventually by the RTT damper for my new bike (yzf250). I love the design of the RTT damper and it seems to be easier to 'adjust on the fly' than any other damper available. If LR likes it, I know I will!

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Do any of the dampers NOT limit the steering arc ? I know the Scotts requires the steering stops to be extended a little bit. Only really a problem when moving the bike around the garage. :eek:

Regards

TR

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
xr'sforever how exactly is it inferior? cheaply made? mine seems solid. ive heard more problems w/ the scotts that any others combined.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
This is great info guys, thanks a lot. Man, we blazed so much single track today I'd have been happy to have at least SOMETHING damping my steering! The whole ride I kept flirting with the ideas of a nice big steering damper on my bike. Argh, well I'm off to buy a WER on Monday.

Also, I don't see how the sweep settings are exactly beneficial in a hitting-a-big-rock-that-I -didn't-see situation. If it moves out of the range of the sweep from an impact, I'm guessing the damper didn't help at all and you're screwed anyways. What is the function of the sweep?

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Sorry I meant to say... how necessary is adjustable sweep anyways? If there's enough to keep things lined up enough after clipping a rock, shouldn't that just be fine? So with that I'm not seeing the advantage of Scott's adjustable sweep over the WER's fixed range.

Top Bottom