motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
I was messing with the rear suspension and broke/snapped this "lock nut" on the rear suspension. It's above the spring "adjusting ring" about 1 1/2 inches and tightens up against the top collar. Looks like I would have to take apart the whole rear shock to replace it. Is it mandatory to have it on there? thks

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
With out it, you can turn the spring very easy when it unloads. What is the worse that can happen, it will get looser/ more sag? Race, no. Ride, really careful? Damage the shock, and cost a couple hundred used, and quite a bit more if bought new! Send it in for service. When has that been last? Call MX Tech. Vintage Bob

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
The lock ring actually screws and tightens up against the top...

part of the shock. Not the spring load collar. The actual adjusting collar below it has an allen screw that tightens it up. I looked at new ones today and they didn't have the "lock ring". I think it will be OK like it is. Bikes got about 20 hours on it. I just picked it up used. I had kind of planned on doing the service on it my self. I have 3 sportbikes I maintain myself...although apparently more maintance friendly than dirt bikes I'm finding out. thks

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
easy to replace. look at a schematic of the shock to see how easy it is. basicly the same procedure you would use for changing out the shock spring.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
The top of the shock will have to come off. The lockring stops right below

the the upper portion of the shock. Below the lockring the threads are bigger so it won't unscrew down.. KTM guy said it would need to be disassembled?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That shock needs special tools to come apart/change the spring, pretty sure? But needing 2 locks? That is an Ohlin? There are some video clips about changing it, google or here.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
I really don't know the purpose of the ring as...

it locks up against the upper part of the shock...not down on the "adjusting collar" resting on top of the spring.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
Yes...but the upper body doesn't,,,

spin on the threaded cylinder freely or with pressure. I know they (upper part of shock) have to screw onto the threaded cylinder.. I picked up something at the ktm shop today and looked at the new ones (bikes) and they don't have the lock ring. I'm probaby making a big deal out of nothing...just don't want to screw up a brand new used bike. lol

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
It is the lock nut that locks the body to the upper/top tank casting.
The body of the shock could unthread , and with just a half ot whole turn out it will leak as it will unseat from the o-ring that seals it .

It has to at least come partialy apart to replace the nut/lock collar . And make sure the body it TIGHT into the upper tower/top tank.

If you remove the spring and the spring preload nut you should be able to relace the lock collar , but I would recomend to pull fuly apart and make sure the body is tight.

motomc1

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks. I am taking the bike...

into the shop next week to have the suspension "tuned" for me. They seen to have an "updated" upper collar I will probably install. thks

Top Bottom