Is this even possible? new to ignition

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Ok(im new) Is the flywheel (01 cr125) supposed to be a magnet. Mine had surface rust (long story) so I took a wire brush to it. is it possible for the flywheel to lose its magnetism?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Im not sure but I would imagine it could. Is the flywheel off? If it is, try sticking somthing to it. If not, then I dont know.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
ok the stator is part of the problem but i have another question,,, what is the magnet on the outside of the flywheel called. and where can i buy one.(there is surface rust on the metal on the outside of it

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
As husabutt said it's sold as one piece, so it's usually just called the flywheel. For the 2001 CR125 the Honda part code is 31100-KZ4-J31 but that's the stator and flywheel which is hardly what you want as it's $240!

Is the flywheel still magnetised? Take it off and put a piece of ferrous metal inside and see how strong the magnetism feels, it should be quite strong. They can get demagnetised, but I've never heard of anybody having that problem. Maybe if you gave us some details of the problems you're having we could help more?

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
yes the magnet in the flywheel is very strong (ignore what i posted earlier) but there is rust on the magnetic part on the outside of the flywheel (about 10 -11 o'clock) from the flywheel should i try to clean it up with steel wool or leave it alone

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Don't worry about the rust. Sand it lightly and wipe some oil on it. The rust will not cause a problem. However, you should make sure there is not moisture behind the ignition cover.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
no I mean on the magnet about 10 oclock from the flywheel (has a metal part coming down towards the flywheel) has rust on it (the gasket broke water got into the ignition)

Top Bottom