enduro8

Sep 22, 2000

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Darn, that kind of stuff seems to happen every year. That and the stupid container arriving late (apparently we have not yet figured out who the bribe is supposed to be paid to). They all run foam tubes, right? Flats shouldn't be a problem...must be more to the story.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Here's a quote from Glenn Martinson's D-36 report, where he talked about impound activities:

"I changed a rear tire and mousse in about 7 minutes and changed the engine oil too."

I don't think I could get the wheel off the bike in 7 minutes!!

Netra105

Mar 10, 2001
tire changing in a hurry

im pretty good at working on my bike and i do all my own work, but boy do i stink at changing tires. im pretty bad, if i was winning the isde i would lose it when i had to change a tire

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by KaTooMer
I changed a rear tire and mousse in about 7 minutes

And I read Glenn's write up twice...
When I went to Tulsa in 94 (to spectate) most everyone was running tubes...

I do remember watchin Peterhansel change a tire & mousse. Vice grips on the rims & tire irons that were aprox 3-1/2 to 4' in length. Quite impressive.

FlyingFinn

Oct 25, 1999
How to change a tire..

In this video you can see how 7- time enduro World champion Kari Tiainen changes a tire.. Click "video" and then Click on "Renkaan vaihto Hämeenlinnassa 10.6.2000 (895kt)".

Last edited:

enduro8

Sep 22, 2000
Martinson ran tubes last year, and switched to the inserts this year. He practiced 3x a week for the last few months to get ready.

I am about 99.9% sure that Garrahan was running inserts because they always run inserts even at the local races here in District 36. I have seen inserts desinagrate before, but it seems wierd since he was probably running a brand new set.

Both Brian and Pat G changed front and rear inserts in about 8 minutes at their annual fund raiser last weekend. Mind you this is fully dressed in gear (just like at the 6 days) with 3-4 12 year old kids squirting them with a hose and throwing/dumping mud on them. This is also with them taking care of their own tools. Remember that in the ISDE you can have people hand you your tools and it makes it go alot quicker.

I know that Craig Wenser did his full set change in 5 minutes and 20 seconds last month. wow.

I run inserts as well, and they are not as hard as you think once you get used to them. I figure i can do a set in under 15 minutes no problem, but i have never timed myself either. the good thing about inserts is there is nothing that you can pinch like a tube and it does not have that damn valve that you have to weasel into the hole either.

enduro8

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Miki Arpa has a website tied to the front page of www.mxlarge.com. He has been writing columns about the event AND putting pointers to an official FRENCH website that will be posting reports and standings.....problem is I CAN'T READ FRENCH! (Miki's columne is in english) So thats a place to look as the event continues....They had not posted the first day yet on Tuesday morning...I'll check later today.:)

Here's what is listed for day 1

500cc
Miki Ahola VOR
Kari Tiainen KTM
Anders Eriksson Hus
Marc Coma Hus

400cc
Juha Salminien KTM
Steffan Merriman Hus
Miki Arpa VOR
Xavier Colomer KTM

Looks like a theme developing here....