Jan 3, 2007
My 79 IT175 is running 360 main, needle clip position in the middle, and the pilot is a #65 i think but i can not get it to idle at all. When ever i start it all it dose is rev until the rev limiter. There are not any air leaks, the crank seals are all new, the head and base gasket new, reeds are brand new boysens, and i can not think of anything else. THANKS!!!

fatboy570

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2000
How far is your idle screw turned in, and also your pilot screw? You might check all the rubber parts around the carb. Sometimes they will split or crack and let too much air in, causing the high revs.

Jan 3, 2007
I have taken a look at it today and the boots are not leaking and the carb settings are good. The cable looks a little worn so i will just throw on the spare one sometime this week and see what happens.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Could worn clutch plates do this? Because the clutch needs to be redone.

No, that won't cause it to "run away" when you start it. It has to be either the slide is not closed all the way, or a pretty major air leak.

First things first, a little background, please.

Did it run before? Since you have owned it, that is.

Did you change something before it started acting up?

Rotor

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I have taken a look at it today and the boots are not leaking and the carb settings are good. The cable looks a little worn so i will just throw on the spare one sometime this week and see what happens.
thats probably it, replace the cable.

Jan 3, 2007
Rotorranch, ran great befor the top end went at the end of last season and then when i replaced it, then it would always rev up and get really hot. Would not start until it was really cool. Then, i did all new gaskets, and sealed everything up and it seemed fine. So, not sure but this project is going on hold until the 465 is done some time later the winter. I will update when i am done with the 465.

axel1917

Nov 11, 2007
I had an 86 IT 200 that had a worn carb slide. I replaced it and no more erattic idle. Only bike I ever owned that had a worn slide. (i've had a few)

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Sounds like an air leak, but obviously the throttle cable needs replaced as well. Leak could come from cylinder intake manifold or base gasket, that'd be the first place to look for that since you worked on the top end just before the problem arose.
Good luck,Roger#491

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
I think Axel is on it. a worn carb slide hanging up can you get a good view down the carb from the air box with a mirror and flashlight?

D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom