Had a shop install my crank seals, still revs!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Had a shop install my crank seals, still revs & smokes!

I had a reputable shop install my new oem crank seals as both were shot... Before all this the bike was free reving after you start it, then it would just run wide open. Also put in a new wiseco piston along with all new top/bottom gaskets and seals. Got it home and it fired up right up, and I began the break in process. The bike still felt boggy/smokey which i expected with the crankcase oil residue, then once it warmed up the bike just stopped bogging and ran decent on the stand for a sec then the idle started to surge so I killed it. Took apart the carb again and none of the jets are clogged. Started it back up a few times, and its boggy and really smokey until the thing warms up a bit then it just clears up and the idle starts to climb until it screams as it goes lean. I've checked all the obvious things like throttle cable, idle etc none seemed to make a difference. I'm trying to think of what else could possibly cause this to happen when it warms up, The only other gaskets to replace are the reeds, but it would most likely run lean all the time then, not just when it gets warm. This all did seem to start after i replaced all the vent tubes on my carb with one new ones, and adjusted the needle clip one day. I've since checked it many times and putting the clip back where it was did nothing, plus the pilot controls the idle anyways. I'm pretty stumped guys, I thought I would be riding this weekend but I guess not... :bang:

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Wow well i backed the idle screw (black plastic one) all the way out and screwed it back in... backed it out 6.5 turns and it idled! Took it for a spin around the block and it was still bogging and smoking very bad though. Once around the block, I came home and the silencer was literally oozing oil onto the swingarm... Wtf gives here? Also I noticed behind the front sprocket is leaking oil, is that just a seal I can pull easily? The powervalve cover on top the head appears to have a very slow leak to where the gasket looks wet and the oil its kind up bubbling up through, does this affect the way the engine runs at all? I'd hate to have to pull the head for that pinhole leak... ugh, it never ends!

Pic of how it runs:

2zqqu78.jpg

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'd take it to the shop that installed the crank seals and ask if they'd help you out with a leak down test. Pull the gas tank before you go so it'll only take a minute for them to do.

What fuel are you running? Did it used to run ok?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I asked them about doing a pressure test on the crankcase, and they said it's a bad idea because the seals could blow out etc. What all is a leakdown test? The bike has tons of compression, new wiseco piston, performance engineering ported head(bought this way), all new seals top & bottom end, new stator thanks to RM_guy and I run 93 pump with yamalube 32:1. The bike ran good when I first got it then it just started running like crap, I thought the crank seal might have gone bad from changing to 10-40w oil and it was indeed bad. Since all these new seals and top end, the bike runs no different then it did before. Bad reeds wouldn't cause it to run like this would it? The bike is just constantly "loaded up" and smokes like crazy!

EDIT: After tons of research, I think it could possibly be the float height. I remember them falling off, and I think I might have messed with them a bit. I didn't realize how big an effect the float height had, and needs to be within .5mm
Where would be a cheap place to buy new needle valve, and how do I check to see if its worn out? By the time I'm done with this bike everything is going to be replaced!

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I pulled the reeds off and they were bad, but I doubt that has to do with the revving. It has a Vforce Delta reed cage, but only had a gasket on one side that mounted directly to the motor. The other side should to my understanding have a gasket, but it is a hard rubber to plastic seal without one. That could have been the factor along with the carb and reeds, my parts come in monday so time will tell!

Top Bottom