It's a Dream and a Shot in the Dark to find help but worth a shot! OHV Park"must see"

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Ahhhh insurance I hate that word! It's a big problem for our sport! Money! We need a Lawyer that has alot of clout to support our sport. I feel that a few minor changes in the laws that could protect us better from sue happy people that are injured on repaired bikes that fail or MX track/OHV park would be a great place to start! I have a dream to open a 700 acre extreme park in Western Pa. (were close!) It's a very well known area that has some of the best riding I have ever rode in my life and many others would also agree! The landowner is aware of what it could be but he also stated lawsuits follow the money trail. We have been working with an attorney in the area of this potential dream park! I have the fire under my butt to not give up! Ever seen the Badlands in Attica Indiana? All I can say is lookout because this place is much more! Even though it is only 700 acres and I have been at much larger areas nothing could even come close. Mre than likely be one of the hottest riding spots in the N.E. United States! Sure hope that I could have a chance to have someone who loves our sport as much as we do come take a look at what I'm talking about! Like they say money talks but perhaps not giving up on my dream will payoff sometime soon. Perhaps a old pro MX racer or even more than one could help us acheive this dream! No i'm really dreaming! It's worth a shot! I want a new job operating this park! The Electrician job a Lockheed Martin is ok but far from my Dream! I feel that it will take some special people to get this park nailed down and I really want to find the people to make this happen! I'm 34 and my partner in this Dream is 70! Big age gap but he knows what this park can and someday will be! Hey has anyone here hit the lotto???? We have plans that we would really like the right people to hear about. Investors or whatever or whoever it may take! We will get you here to see what we are talking about if you are who we are looking for to help us. We will fly you to Cleveland Ohio pick you up take you to our potential park area and share our plans with you and then fly you back home! Over the last 25+ years of riding my passion for riding has just grown so much that I want it to be my life! Pleae feel free to reply to this posting, perhaps it sounds alittle crazy but we really need the right people to back us! Please consider this opportunity, we are just a couple of guys who love riding that are hard working and honest that would love to have the opportunity! We just can't say enough! Please consider this opportunity and let us meet with you whoever you may be! Thank you! Mark and Richard We will watch close for replys! Thanks again! We won't waste your time if you feel you can help us! Please foward this to anyone that you feel might be willing and able to help. Sure we could link some pictures but this is a must see! Again please consider investing in our dream with us. First step is you need to see this area of a potential park! We don't want advice, we want to share our well thought plan to the proper Investors or who ever it takes. Really we are not crazy! Alot of riders would be greatful! Perhaps 1000's!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
So your asking for money :|

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Money? Not really there is much more... Read!

:| Denny,
Thank you for the reply. Richard and I have been working on our park plan for about 2 years. We have had contact with the landowner twice and just the other day on a Youngstown News Channel (33) a report of another ATV mishap was reported. I'm sure you are aware of Hillsville so I don't need to tell you about the area. The Shick Family owners of this land have always had problems with riff raff that has forced the to try to make this great area off limits to riders. Last Sunday a rider on a ATV crashed while wearing NO HELMET resulting in a life flight trip! These kind of stories have a major impact on the future of our sport! I have been riding for almost 25 years and to this day I haven't ever enjoyed a ride as much as at Hillsville. Wellsville, Rumble on the Ridge and all the other rides don't even come close! Really we are not looking for money as someone has stated in a reply to my post but rather having a dream answered! Yes the Park would more than likely generate alot of cash flow but that's not what we are thinking about! This park would require 100% of my time to operate and maintain it as a model park! I here of so many parks having problems being closed down and my goal is to reverse this! We can do great things with a park such as Hillsville. Granted injurys will happen but this must be accepted by the riders who enjoy our sport so much. Nobody has stepped up to the plate as we have done to try to reach our dream. I know if Hillsville Offroad Park had a staff of gifted people to operate the park to keep it within specs Hillsville could become one the the best areas to ride in this part of the Country. The last time I have spoke to the landowner he told me he had thought about contacting me about the opportunity! I guess that was a good sign and a move in the right direction. Mr. Laney and I have been looking for an answer to just make this happen and now the landowner is working on a dream of his own, a horse racing and betting track close to RT 422&551. So I feel that removing his liability from the 700 acres in Hillsville may be something he may want to hear more about. A purchase of the 700 acres is totally out of our reach but the option of a well tought legal agreement to protect Carmon and Ambrosia Coal and Construction isn't. We already have had legal advice form an Atty. in Sharon Pa. about the issue and a park is very much do-able. Really we need to put together a think tank and make one last shot at this that will count. I have put together a operation plan that will work but we need to have help with presentation to the owner and also to gain approval for local govt.to avoid the nitemare of being closed down. We would like to follow the proper chain of command. Have you ever heard of Croom in Florida which is owned and operated by the State of Florida? Well I can't say enough about the park operation! More places like Croom is what it will take to keep parks running and looking more than just good in the public eye. As far as Hillsville, this area offers a wonderful place for all skill levels of riding. Your from Pa so I'm would also bet that you perhaps have been at Hillsville. At this point I'm very tired of spinning my wheels and I still refuse to give up. I have spoke to many people and truly have had no help whatsoever. The entire issue to the land owner is liability and the end to people dumping trash and burning cars and all the other negitive issues that arise due to the part of the general public that doesn't respect what they have to enjoy. I could more than likely almost write a book on what I have learned to this point on OHV parks and why I feel that some of the laws need reviewed that pertain to the lawsuit money hungry people that are in our Country. I will call you after I speak with Richard Thursday afternoon. Please let me know the best time to call you. Anytime after 4pm would be best so Dick and I can speak with you. Please let me know what time is best. Thank you very much for your reply! Mark Shepard

If I have made any errors writing this please excuse me It has been a long day.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Just a thought: I don’t know if this would help with your insurance problems but I ride in the off season at a park called Sand Hill Ranch, it is privately owned and operated and you have to sign a big contract to get into the park, you might want to call them and ask who wrote there contract and what kind of insurance they are required to have along with that contract, it may be minimal.
Sand hill Ranch.
Brentwood Calif. Contact Phil Anderson, 925-240-6247, Ext. 2, or 925-240-7937,

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Hm... there are a few articles in the MX magazines that are on the newstands about insurance/organizations. I dont have them in front of me but will bookmark them and post when I see them.

Two that caught my attention were right on point for you. One has the organization that insures tracks. However they have to meet certain criteria in order for the organization to sign you up. They will make suggestions etc. on how a track could comply. Seems like good timing on your part, since nothing is going yet. Also, they may know some folks looking for an investment opportunity but who knows.

The other article dealt more with self-insurance for amateurs so it may not be as timely.

Just a couple of friendly impressions from reading your posts. First, use paragraphs! They are completely free :)

Also, you don't have your name, contact numbers etc. Flyboy500 with address unknown won't get you much clout from some strangers. Last, you dont appear to be a businessman with a plan but someone with enthusiasm and a love of riding. But who knows, B. Gates started out like that too.

Not trying to rain on your parade but if you are going to get the most support possible you will have to have a workable business model. Some might be interested without a plan. But some who might be interested if you have a plan will have to pass.

Best of luck! Sounds like a great place to ride and a really nice opportunity.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
I checked, and the two articles that are right on point for you are in the April 04 issue of Dirt Rider. It is on newstands now. I wish all track owners would read them! They would save a lot of needless injuries and the subsequent problems.

Top Bottom