IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've decided that as soon as I can afford to, my 450 is going to be lowered and those nasty knobby's ripped off. No more jumps for me.

Only turning left from now on. A lot less pain involved for me! Now if I could only find a good deal on a 19in front rim & a couple Maxxis DT5's ...

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Does that mean your MX track is no longer? Maybe you should just keep it in mothballs "just in case" (the 450). Look for a diff bike to flat track...just sayin

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Or, you can do what I do and not jump anything where you catch more than 18" (and that is probably hyperbole) of air. Neither me nor my bike can possibly jump modern tracks. Even if I survived, they'd still need to bring out a big pooper scooper to clean up the track.
We'll still be here for you, even if you become a member of the flat-earth society.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
2 mx races, and how many flat track races? Something tells me, that Indy has yet to high side? Getting old and gravity have never been a good mix, speed and momentum are no better. Personally, I would rather crash at 20~30 mph than 60~90 mph! Indy being a flat track racer, why not! The vintage class in either blows, imo because of parts. Do they have a 2 stroke class, or even displacement classes?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Indy - As long as you're riding something ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
IndyMX said:
Now if I could only find a good deal on a 19in front rim & a couple Maxxis DT5's ...

Indy. Check out flattrack.com for a front wheel.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
So.. a friend of mine gave me a KX500 rear wheel. I took the rim off and used it on my stock front hub. A set of Buchanan Spokes (prepackaged) and I'm in business.

A friend of mine loaned me a set of tires for this weekend, so it's on.

Attachments

• 2011-08-24 21.22.56.jpg
    2011-08-24 21.22.56.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 143

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, there is that. I'm hoping that the bike will make up for some of my shortcomings. And keep me out of trouble too much.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
High Lord Gomer said:
Yeah...that worked for me when I was on a CR250 and AJ was on a TTR125.

HAHAHA.. Yeah, I know a few people on TTR125's that can royally kick my butt.. It's ok. I'm old, I'm expected to be slow.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
IndyMX said:
HAHAHA.. Yeah, I know a few people on TTR125's that can royally kick my butt.. It's ok. I'm old, I'm expected to be slow.

Jeeez. Break out the walkers and canes. I don't know what happened to you guys, but I'm faster now than I was 20 years ago. :whoa:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Rooster said:
Jeeez. Break out the walkers and canes. I don't know what happened to you guys, but I'm faster now than I was 20 years ago. :whoa:

Our mind knows how to ride faster, but our body doesn't. :nod:

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
You have got to try the trials thing next,as long as you don't mind having 12 year olds laughing at you. I get the same rush trying to get up on a 5' rock as trying a big 65'er the first time. Worst thing is you fall five feet at 5 miles per hr.The best part is everything you learn on the trials bike translates over to woods riding. And don't forget you get to wear spandex lol

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
IndyMX said:

Don't let your alligator typing claws write checks your canary ass can't pay ... :nener:

I understand your pain, I'm getting it too, but mostly in the hands and wrists from beating myself to death in construction. I've always wanted to try the flat track thing, I think it would be fun, but we just don't have enough of that around here to make it worth building a bike for the sport. Good luck and have fun~!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
holeshot said:
Our mind knows how to ride faster, but our body doesn't. :nod:

Exactly.
++10! :nod: :yikes:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Indy, you going over to the Speedway this weekend, and check out the really fast guys? :cool:

Report, please?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
No Ken, I don't really care too much about MotoGP.. I mean, I'll watch it, but I don't like it enough to pay to see it.

Flat track is really where my heart is. Plus, I was so burned out from not getting any sleep the last few days, then racing last night and having to work afterward, I just needed to catch up on some much needed rest today.

Now, on to the race report. In a word, EPIC.

I don't think I have ever had this good of a time at a race in my life. I've been doing everything I can on a very limited budget to get this bike together, and to have it ready to ride in time for a huge event like we had last night was amazing, but to have it turn out like it did, was just over the top.

So, we all know, or should, that the Indy Mile was cancelled this year due to the tragic events at the Indiana State Fair a two weeks ago. This set the stage for about 35 pro riders showing up and running at our little short track. That in itself was way cooler than I ever thought possible. Standing in a riders meeting with top level pros was very cool. And I don't mean guys that show up and run around the back of the pack struggling to make it into the heat races, I'm talking national number 7 Sammy Halbert, 9 Jared Mees, 12 Brad Baker, and several others.

These are very fast guys who are a threat to win not only a race every week, but a championship every season. Jared already has a championship, and Sammy is leading the GNC points this season.

A very impressive field for a little local short track. Plus there were a whole host of very fast amateur riders on hand.

I went out for my first practice with Jared Mees following me thru turns one and two, I never saw him again after he passed me.. ;) I struggled with the bike, it didn't want to turn at all.

After the first round of practice, I saw my friend Ricky Leak working on his bike. Turns out he blew a head gasket in his first practice. I offered him use of mine in the event he didn't get his back together in time for the heats. As it turned out, he had more serious damage to the bottom end, and so we put his wheels on my bike, and tried to address the lousy suspension setup. The bike was setup for my weight, and he's almost half my weight.

He missed the Open class heat, so had to go straight to the semi.. In the pro class heat he struggled but got a 5th. Only 2 transfer. Another semi to run...

I got 5th out of 6 in my heat, and the bike felt perfect for me. I just just trying to get a handle on how much I could twist it, and how low I could lay it over in the turns. It's going to take time to figure all of that out.

Time for the Pro Semi's and #7 Sammy Halbert got together with Mike Avilla and didn't transfer.

In the 4th Semi Ricky Leak came off the line strong and never looked back. We had done everything we could think of to make the bike stable coming off the turns, but it was still a bit of a handful, but good enough for him to keep everyone behind him for the win.

You would have thought I had just won the lottery! How many times in your life can you say that your bike is going to the main event with top name pro riders! I was so thrilled that Ricky would get to ride with these guys. I wish he would have had a much better bike to get him a better finish, but still, he was in a main event that a lot of other guys who are much faster didn't make it into. Nothing at all to be mad about!!

At the end, he finished last in the pro main and 13th in the Open class. But still did it on a bone stock bike with no testing. He's on hell of a rider.

I finished 8th or 9th in my main, out of 11 or 12, not sure on the exact count. I felt good, and was able to learn a lot. I need to do some work on the setup, but I think next season I'll have something that will allow me to run with the guys in the Vet 30 class, and not make a complete ass out of myself.

I was two hours late for work.. Ooops.. ;)

Attachments

• 18755822_z66q4R.jpg
    18755822_z66q4R.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom