Its great to be back, but now i need your help.

paul

Jul 3, 1999
I have been a DRN member since early 99 and I loved this site I have saved hundreds by doing the work myself with the help of DRN. I have stopped riding since last may, and lost interest in my kdx I havent been to this site in almost 2 yrs, and wow has it changed for the better. I sold my 99 kdx200 a month ago for 2600. After a few weeks i started going nutts thinking about what a mistake i made. Today I gave in and bought a 1996 kdx200 for 1100, but the bike has a few probs and i was wondering if anyone could help. First the kickstarter wont work, i kick it and it goes down to the foot peg with no resistance, but when i press it down real slow i can feel the resistance, keep in mind the bike just had the top end redone and it runs exc. when jumpstarted, but I got no clue why the kickstarted wont work? Second the front and rear wheel wobble a bit, the front more than the back, would just some simple wheel spacers fix this? and finally the pro circut pipe has some rust on it what wouldbe the best way of cleaning it up? Thanks in advance. and Wow im still in shock at how much this site changed, it kicks ass, C Dave you must be a busy man now adays. I luv you guys :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The gear the kickstarter actuates might be stripped inside the transmission case. That would certainly give you the feeling of no resistance.

-Maurice

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Also the front and rear wheels prob. just need new wheel bearings. When they get old they get sloppy and let the wheel move on the axle. Also check to make sure the axles themselves are not bent. Aluminum polish should clean up that PC pipe in no time. Glad your back with the best people around.

-Maurice

paul

Jul 3, 1999
Holy crap that was fast. So once i take off the cover what should i look for and how hard and much would this job be to to yourself?

paul

Jul 3, 1999
BTW I wonder if this site ever considered having some sort of a chat room, that would really be interesting. And yes these are truly the best ppl around

levert

Jan 29, 2002
You should see of course the shaft where the kickstarter is.On the shaft ,( Ihavent done a KDX) there should be a washer on the outside and two distinct looking gears that can only grip each other one way and a spring. When you use the kickickstarter the down ward motion will push the outer gear on a cam slidder on the shaft so it engages the inner gear and IE the motor. Once the kickstarter is released one spring will push it up to the resting spot and there is a little spring in between the starter gears that pushes them apart.
Probably one of those gears is stripped. Just make notes if you don;t have a manual on the location of washers and bearings and gears when you pull the shaft off, note the spring that tensions the starter lever and where it is hooked on, sometimes these are pretensioned so not that as well.It looks complex but it is not hard to fix.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
First thing I would do is get a factory service manual.

Take a look at this website

This will give you an idea as to what is behind the kick starter.

As far as the wheels, do they have side-to-side play, or are the rims bent? If the wheel bearing are so far gone that the wheels wobble, I'd take a good look at the axle spacers and the axles themselves.

Remove the wheel and feel the wheel bearings. They should rotate only. If they are frozen or sloppy they need to be replaced.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom