Jetting - Flat top end - plug chop *PICS*

pewpster

Jun 13, 2004
A little history on the bike. Bought it 3 months ago as a 91 KDX200. It has the 91 seat cover with the pink kawasaki writing on it, but upon further inspection it appears to be an 89. It has "E1" stamped on the motor and in the VIN sticker. It came with a RAD valve, and aftermarket spark arrester with a stock pipe. I tore the head down and replaced the busted kips valves. Everything else looked good.

The bike now has a 45 pilot and a 150 main by reccomendation of the local dealer assuming it was a 91 not an 89.

The bike runs great at partial throttle, but seems very flat at WOT.

I did a plug chop yesterday, it was about 60F. Ran it about 15 seconds on a very slight incline on a paved road before I ran out of room. Plug was a brand new BR8ES

img45.exs.cx/img45/5074/chop1.jpg

img45.exs.cx/img45/1748/chop2.jpg

It looked like there were some flakes on the insulator, I assume from it being to hot.

I am thinking of going up to a 155 main, now that its getting colder. Any suggestions??

Last edited by a moderator:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
You can't go by the E1 thingy. Go to www.buykawasaki.com and plug in your VIN---that will tell you the year. Plug looks fine, maybe a little rich. I have a '90 w/PC pipe and silencer,
Boyesen dual stage reeds, no airbox lid and Unifilter. Under 50 degrees I run 38 pilot--CEL 2nd clip(from the top)--and 152 main. Runs like stink!!! Verify that your KIPS is working by holding the rubber boot and reving the engine---you'll feel the shaft turning inside. Then make sure they're installed correctly by taking the resonater cover off(top of the cylinder, left side, 3 bolts, says KIPS on it) and the exhaust pipe. Look in the exhaust hole with a flashlight while depressing the metal shaft in the resonater---you should see both barrels and the center valve open up. If not, you put 'em in wrong. Congratulations on the old bike---I work on mine more than I ride it. You will too!! :eek:

Top Bottom