kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
so around 7000 rpm im guessing my 94 wr250 just falls flat and goes blaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh (thats the sound it makes)at any throttle opening. i replaced a fouled plug and gapped the new one at .021 and checked the float level. now it seemed to run worse and i stopped at the end of the road and it died with a fuel fouled plug and i know the carb is clean. with a clean plug it fires in 2 or 3 kicks pretty easily. its stock minus the fmf pipe and shorty silencer im at about 3000 feet in the cal. hi desert. is this a jetting issue??? ive never jetted a bike before.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You have to start with the basic mechanical stuff first before you jump into jetting changes. You need to verify that the ignition is functioning properly, that includes checking for corrosion in the CDI connections and making sure you have good grounds. It's also worth looking at the reeds. The problem you are describing is common with worn reeds. Checking to make sure the clutch side crank seal isn't worn out and sucking in transmission oil is also in order on a 12 year old bike.

Once you are sure all the basic mechanical stuff is OK, here's a good explanation of the process of jetting / carb tuning : http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html

Last edited:

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
there is spooge coming out the exhaust at the head connection think its probly the seals? it did sit for a very long time before i got it running.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Anything is possible. Until you start carefully checking things, we are all just guessing.

Jay Em

Jul 10, 2006
I had what sounds like the same problem with my 95 yz250. The yamaha shop instantly said the engine was blown but they couldnt look at it for 2 to 3 weeks. The honda shop was a little more helpfull, they adjusted the floats up to where it wouldnt fall on its face any more, but if i tilted the bike even a little, gas would pour out of the overflow. it also started fouling plugs faster than I could change them. with needle settings, it would go from bad to really really bad, different jets did almost nothing. I finally bought a new keihin air striker 38mm carb from motorcyclecarbs and with a few minor adjustments my bike ran awsome. the dealer wanted $418.00 I paid $250.00 :ride:

Top Bottom