Jetting problem is really a KIPS problem.....

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Please don't flame me for not searching, but I've searched for topics on KIPS problems and can't find what I'm looking for.

I have a 89 KX250 that started to develop a weird bog on the top end. I chased after the jetting, reeds, air filter, etc... and finally it dawned on me to check the KIPS. SO yesterday I started the bike with the valve cover off and when I would rev it the lever would only move just a hair. About once every 10 revs the rod would pull all the way out. Which would explain what the bike was doing (Sometimes as it was bogging I could get on and off the throttle to fix it)

My question....something feels broken and I'm wondering if there is typically something that breaks first in this system? Without tension on the rod I tried to pull it out and it was literally stuck shut. After wiggling it and pulling it would occasionally release and pull freely out. If I did NOT push the rod all the way back in then I would be able to work it in and out very very easily. Seems like when it shuts all the way it can "Lock" in place though.

I'm already prepared to yank the head, but I'm just wondering what I should be looking for and approximately how much these components cost to replace. Thanks.

Micah

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Also, as I'm still searching the forums I keep finding cautions about "properly supporting" a shaft so that it doesn't break. Is this just a KDX thing? I've disconnected the advancer arm from the horizontal shaft several times with ease. Maybe the KDX's connect differently?

Micah

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
I had an 89 KX500 and KDX200 but it's been quite a while, so the memory may be failing me a bit.

It seems that the components could get gummed up if not cleaned regularly and result in the teeth on the aluminum valves getting stripped by the steel governor rod (rack).

You can go here to get the part numbers and here
for some decent prices to give you an idea.

Hope it helps.

:ride:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
The old KIPs systems are pretty reliable except the teeth can get worn. If it's on the original parts, there's a good chance they're rounded off and it's hanging up. Or, if you're lucky, it's just gummed up.

It's not that complicated of a system. Once you get all the pieces in front of you, you'll know what's wrong.

That said, I have at least one reason to question the engineering of those things. I had an '88 KX250 that even when the shaft and gears were all lined up properly, the right side valve would not open all the way. It was like it was off a tooth, but when you moved it over a tooth (which was one off where the dot on the gear indicated it should be), it was even worse in terms of not closing.

Top Bottom