Jetting question on 99 KDX200

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I have a 99 KDX 200 that I just purchased used. I have gone over the whole bike and the only mod is the air box lid is drilled out big time. My question is what is everybody doing for jetting. I have only rode the bike a few times because of the foul weather but the bike seems a little on the rich side. The stock main jet is a 160. Should I go smaller and what about the pilot jet. One more question, I plan on putting on a pro circut pipe and will I have to rejet again after I put on the pc pipe? Maybe the rich stock jetting will be right on after the pipe installation. Thanks for the help!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
First off - have you read the jetting section on the justkdx website? There is some good information there.

Secondly - if you are going to be putting your pipe on soon you might be best off correcting your jetting when you put the pipe on. I would recomend that if everything is stock that you install some Boyseen 607 reeds as they are relatively inexpensive (~$25) and will complement the pipe.

Your jetting is going to vary depending on atmospheric conditions where you are riding.

For reference I was using the following on my '99 KDX200 with good results:
Main 155, Pilot 45 and 2nd clip position (on stock needle) (160 Main and 48 pilot are stock) using Belray H1R @ 40:1 w/ 94 octane pump gas.

Boyseen Power Reeds (607)
Open Air Box (no lid)
FMF Gnarly Torque Pipe (KG-35)
FMF Turbine Core II Silencer/Spark Arrester

Hope this gets you started. You realy need to spend a little time getting your jetting tuned in. It will pay off in the end.

Another thing to check would be your suspension linkage bearings (for grease & wear). If the person you bought the bike from took care of these (i.e. greased) then you are lucky. If not be prepared to change out some of them. WHen i bought my bike mine were all in fantastic shape (the guy took care of them). My buddy checked his for the first time after his bike (that he bought new) was 2 1/2 years old and almost all of his bearings were rusty toasted messes! :eek:

Last edited:

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
Kelvin, thanks for the information on jetting and the other tips. I did check out the justkdx but I had to hear it form someone that had a 99 kdx. When I get the Pro circuit pipe I will do the jetting. How do you like you fmf torque pipe? Does it kill your top end any? I disassembled my suspension linkages and the front bearings were toast. I replaced them and cleaned and repacked the other bearings. The power valves also seem to be working fine. Again thanks for the advice.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
No problem. I can pretty much say that almost everything i know about the KDX i learned from people on this site. The KDX200 is essentially the same from '95 to '02 with some minor mechanical and cosmetic changes. I thought that the fmf torque pipe (KG-35) on my bike when it was a 200 worked well. Yes - it did drop off a little on the top end.

But now ....

My engine now has been bored to 225cc and ported by Eric Gorr. I still have the KG-35 pipe on the bike & intend to keep it that way for a while - so far i love the way the bike pulls - it has tremendous power down low (say "tractor) and seems to be much better in the over rev department. I may experiment later with other pipes & needles. BTW: I also have had my carb modified by RB-Designs (do a search). I am currently running 152 Main, 42 Pilot, CEK needle on clip #3. Air Screw about a turn out.

Glad to hear that you did check your linkage bearings. Sorry about your discovery but hey - now you are more informed. In short time there won't be much on the bike that is a mystery to you.

Keep asking questions - you will find many of the guys on this site extremely helpful.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom