zip

Feb 19, 2005
Cant seem to get rid of a bog when in 1st gear or neutral. If i crack the throttle in nuetral bike bogs and then kicks in when I feather the throttle also happens in 1st gear when taking off once rolling bike runs great. I currently am running stock main and pilot jet with airbox snorkel removed needle in 2nd down from top. By the way the bike is an 03 220 and has a knarly woods pipe with PC 2 silencer. Tried cleaning the carb and that didnt seem to help. Any Ideas appreciated.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Sounds like the plain ole jetting problem that KDXs are famous for. You are probably just way too rich. Tell us what elevation you ride in and what kind of riding you like to do. (You have already told us about the equipment on your bike.) Then some of the 220 experts will suggest where to start on the jetting. I would tell you, but I ride a 200 and the 200 and 220 have different sized carbs. Stay tuned and employ the advice. Carb jetting is the best performance for the dollar bar none.! Cheers John

zip

Feb 19, 2005
thanks- I live in CT and most of the riding I do is more or less tight technical type of trails nothing really wide open. Temps around here currently mid 80's. One other thing I did not mention was that I changed the spark plug and when I did that the bog was even more prounounced then it was with old plug.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Your probably rich on the pilot circuit. You need to lean out the pilot jet. I run a 40 pilot on my 220 (with a torque pipe).

I would suggest you get a 42 and 40 pilot and try those working your way down from the stock 45. You should be able to get rid of the bog. Set your airscrew at 1.5 turns out to start with as well. Fiddle a bit from there. I carry a little screw driver with me and adjust the air screw depending on air temp and humidity.

Have fun

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Agree with others in that it sounds like its running very rich in the pilot circuit.

Have you tried airscrew adjustments to see if you can dial out even a little of the hesitation?

Barring other problems like your float condition, and the cleanliness or otherwise of your carb, the condition of your reeds, engine compression, condition of your silencer packing etc sounds like going down a size on your pilot should make things better, maybe even more than a few sizes...

Make sure the other things I mentioned are nominal though before working on your jetting... otherwise you'll simply be bandaiding a problem that needs to be fixed first...

While your moving slowly in first or 2nd gear, do you hear a distinct "crackling" noise along with the hesitation when you roll on the throttle and accelerate? That's a definite sign of running rich...

Also, when you changed plugs and said it ran worse with the new one... This might be a stupid question, but did you use the same heat range plug?

I'm probably over analyzing the whole thing and you're just simply running "rich" :) But never hurts to be thorough :)

Good luck to you!

Feanor

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
"Make sure the other things I mentioned are nominal though before working on your jetting... otherwise you'll simply be bandaiding a problem that needs to be fixed first"

Completely agree Feanor. My 200 does this bog, real bad...and I am certain its not jetting or plugs....its cos my motor is really tired. I have stuffed around playing the jetting game, and its a waste of time unless your certain the rest of your motor is tip top. Im pretty certain mine does it cos of lack of bottom end compression...even though top is acceptable. Does your bike seem to go better the more you wring its neck? Mine does.

Also, was the bike fine...then the bog mysteriously started or did you buy it like this....cos if It just started one day(and your certain everything is clean) its not the jets. Jets dont wear out.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
When you're in the problem zone pull the choke on and try it. Does it get worse or better? That'll get you started at figuring out if you have a rich or lean situation. It may just be that you need to set your needle back to clip position #3 to richen up a lean hesitation....but you won't be sure unless you try the choke test first.

zip

Feb 19, 2005
Thanks guys- changed the pilot and adjusted the air screw and she is poppin along nicely. Just like new!!

Top Bottom