KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Hey everyone! This is my first time on this forum, so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong spot. Anyway, I just got a 2004 KDX220 and I couldn't be happier with it. I was however wondering, for an average trail rider, if jetting my bike would make it too powerful and no longer enjoyable to put around in the trails. I ride strictly trail and I am just an average joe rider. Just wondering what you guys thought about it before I chop my air box.

P.S.- These bikes are awsome! Best bike I have ever ridden!

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Jetting the bike can give the bike more power but jetting is should not be viewed as hot rodding the motor. Jetting simply is tuning the engine. Normally the factories are very conservative in their jetting so fine tuning by jetting will make the bike run better.

RACINRAY

Feb 18, 2004
leave the bike stock . but fine tune the jetting that should be tolerable for you the more the performance parts will just increase the power nothing wrong with that of course but if you are not ready for it in the skills department could be dangerous. ride on .

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Yes there is additional power to be had by taking some time to jet your bike properly. There are a number of other advantages as well though that for many may outweigh the additional power.

A well jetted engine will burn less fuel than one that is jetted rich (KDXs are traditional jetted very rich from the factory), they will foul less plugs/ no plugs, the power valve system will last longer between cleanings, carbon is very abrasive . . . rich jetting produces excessive carbon and thus additional wear, the pipe will see less carbon being deposited inside of it (particularly in the header section), less unburnt fuel/spoog will be spit from the silencer etc etc.

My point is good jetting is always a worth while endeavor. If you are concerned about increasing the power or changing the way the engine makes power you can always fine tune the power delivery to meet your needs. There is a long thread on jetting on this forum that will be worth reading in which a number of popular jet needle profiles are discussed and their effect on power delivery.

David

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Thank you all very much for your help. Looks like there is going to be plenty of info to read up on. I will check out Canadian Dave's just KDX and dig around in there. Thanks!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You asked about jetting and power...so this doesn't even apply...but..

While your on CDave's site read thru the 'new bike prep' section. Your new KDX needs to be disassembled (suspension, swingarm and steering) and greased if you want any life out of those assemblies.

The more riding hours you get under your belt the more you will have use for and be able to use more power. There are plenty of changes you can make that will considerably change the personality of your bike.....if you wish.

Sure doesn't mean you have to. It's not a race to the depletion of your bank account. A dirt bike is inherently a black hole for $$. The harder you ride it, the higher state of tune the bike is in, the more $$ it's going to cost to keep it there.

Ride it, modify it as you see fit......as it suits you. Proper jetting will make the bike more enjoyable to ride. It will be more reliable while you ride and will be more durable over the long haul (what CDave said).

If you want to know how to do something, or where to start mod-wise...CDave's site and this forum is an excellent place to get information.

Have fun! Ride safe!

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Jason, You wont be gaining a lot of power????????WHAT???? Jason, you may want someone else to jett your bike. Yes you will gain power.A properly jetted kdx will gain power everywhere. Lots of power. But along with that will come better ridability and control, not worse. Have no fear jet away!! Steve

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom