css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Sup all? New to the site here but been looking in the last couple days. I had a ktm 300 exc and just bought a 2005 kdx 220r. Unhappy with the power difference I just put on a fmf gnarly woods, turbine power core 2, fmf torque reeds "WOW" :yikes: got a 12 th sprocket but not sure if I'll put it on now. Anyhoot it seems like my bike runs superb without rejetting. I took it to the local Kawa shop and asked them to test it. After gettin LOTS of complements and wows they said it seemed fine to them. Could this be possible?? I didn't change a thing on the carb and it kinda spooks me. I'm just checkin I don't wanna blow my new toy up. Thxs for uins help,

later,
Elf

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Im getting ready to do the pipe and reed cage treatment and speaking with friends locally i figured that i was going back to the stock jets to start with. my startin altitude is 4500 and up on an 03 200.

Aug 15, 2004
I had the same setup as you on my "02 220 and it ran beautifully with the stock jetting (42 pilot, middle clip and 145 main). However, once I did the airbox mod, I did need to re-jet and adjust accordingly. So, It would be safe to say that at this point, you're fine.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
the 300 exc was a 2000 and was used in hair scrambles. It was still a very powerful machine but kinda got tired of puttin money it a 5 yr old bike. I wouldve got another but not only are they sold out before they enter the USA but they are also twice as much as garden variety machine like the 220. Thanks again for all the advice and any follow ups.

Later
Elfers

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I've got an '00 220.Just had the cyl replated,new piston,P/C pipe,Boyeson reeds,13/50 gearing,air box mod,stock jetting.It runs great.I did buy some jets because alot of posts recommended rejetting but my bike runs so good,I do not think rejetting is needed.I ride western Wa.and in the E.Wa Cascades,no bogging, blubbering or fouled plugs.(MXT-2 oil)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you haven't jetted your bike (properly) you don't know if it runs as well as it could or not.

I can't count the number of times I've tweaked my bike (jetting included) to find that, 'Wow! What an improvement!'

OEM 200 jetting at 4500'el? Not unless there is something seriously wrong with your bike.

Why a -35 (woods) on a 220? That was a choice for a reason? Or just 'cuz someone said?

Could this be possible??

Sure.

Unlikely to the tune of about 99.9%, though.

Get'r done! ;)

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
!/2 and 1/2 on the forums said gnarly and rev. I went with the gnarly woods because after checkin they dont make a rev for 220r without modifications (I think) and also my local kawa shop did some checkin with kawa and fmf and that was the conclusion after all the variables (other mods and kind of rideing done) where tossed in. As far as tinkerin its kinda hard to do when its running as strong as it is. I've checked and double checked and all say its runnin smooth.

Later
Elf

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The -30 (rev) and the -35 (torque) FmF pipes both fit on the 220 as well as FmF makes 'em fit (not too good a lot of the time).

Your local Kawi shop and all the other 'checks' are incorrect.

Nothing wrong with a -35 on a 220. If that fits what/where/how you ride, that is indeed the correct choice.

You are more'n welcome to run your bike however you choose. If/when the time comes that someone takes the time to tune it correctly you will wonder, 'Why didn't I do this a long time ago.'

Have fun with it!

BTW, if you haven't been on CDave's site, spend some time there. Invaluable information for any kdx rider. It's linked in the, 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread at the top of this forum.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
canyncarvr I wont argue the jetting because I havent done the mods yet that will tell me when im done. I was wondering where you think my jetting will end up? always happy to have input. right now I have only removed my snorkel and changed my front sprocket and at 4500 with about 75 outside it is just a touch leaner than i like (the plug starting to look like it wants to turn lighter than tan) that is with 2 sizes smaller on the main one size smaller on the pilot and the needle leaned out one position. Is this what you would expect?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
matt-itude, the pipe and reeds will make your current jetting richer. You'll probably end up 1 or 2 main sizes leaner and 1 or 2 pilot sizes leaner than you are now. On my modified '95 I'd probably be running 42 pilot, air screw at 1 1/4, DEJ/5, 152 main at 75 degrees and 4500'...and that would be on the safe side of things. Every bike is a little different (some are more than a little different) as well as its rider and these things effect jetting to one degree or another. Be sure to log the results of every jetting change you make. Dive in and have some fun. I learned a ton on this site. The information shared on this forum is far and away the most knowledgable source that I have come across.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I cant wait to get it done and go ridding. thanks for the input! it sounds as if i should put the new peices on and take her out for a short spin with the jets in it now and begin with the good old plug read and jet, plug read and jet, etc. this stuff is fun!

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Whats a plug chop? is that same as the motor runnin choppy?.After checking the fisch and the fmf specs all the stock jets are what is recommended in the fmf specs. Also I've been keeping an eye on the plug and all seems fine, so I'm gonna stop worrieing. Thanks again all for the imput and advise. I feel I've only lost about 4 to 5 horse power from the 300 exc to the 220r. I'm likeing the 200r better and better.

Later
Elf

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Whats a plug chop? is that same as the motor runnin choppy?.After checking the fisch and the fmf specs all the stock jets are what is recommended in the fmf specs. Also I've been keeping an eye on the plug and all seems fine, so I'm gonna stop worrieing. Thanks again all for the inpute and advise. I feel I've only lost about 4 to 5 horse power from the 300 exc to the 220r. I'm likeing the 200r better and better.

Later
Elf

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Jetting

I have a 2000 220 with a gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, boysen pro series reeds and took the top off the air box. I dropped the needle one position, went with a 40 pilot and a 140 main and it runs great. I'm running at altitudes from 1500 to 9500 feet here in AZ. I loose some top end above 7500 feet. If you are running aftermarket reeds you should try running leaner, they tend to run richer than stock.

Eric

Top Bottom