ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
keep an eye on the replies you get for jetting ..........the thread i started a while back asking about 03s rendered me reccomendations from 01 to 04 and other makes as well ........while i ll take the help thanks fellas :nod: if you see this, but the part # for an 04 yz needle doesnt help me :) unless............................

i get a new yz ;)

SoCalMatt

Dec 8, 2004
That has been the difficult part to understand for me I think, everyone lives in differnt climates, altitudes and rides differently. My 02 CR250 settings arent necesarily going to work for everyone and vice versa. The Honda manual has really helped a lot too as did that Spanky article. Its funny to see that you had to lean everything down 1 from Hondas recommendations but I guess its not that surprising. I feel that i am close to crisp. :aj:

Any other 02 owners have any jetting issues/fixes/stories?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
the needle is the clincher :nod:

you actually have to look pretty far over into hondas correction factors before a new needle is necessary but when i tried it .......................

SoCalMatt

Dec 8, 2004
yeah I cant wait to ride this Friday and see how it goes with the changes I made. I still have a 30 pilot and 360 main to try as well. Does the VForce reeds and Fatty make jetting leaner or richer? I've seen too many answers on that. Also, I have this fear of getting too lean. Can somebody explain what lean and rich feel like? I think of rich as feeling bloated and bogging and lean as way too pipey and high reving. But Im not positive I am reading this right and dont feel like finding out the hard way.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
v force and fatty were on bike when i bought it so i cant tell you from experience

lean will be a bog like you temporarily ran out of gas then it goes like @#$2

check for blistered plug or METAL FLAKES on plug , either of those and youre heading for destruct

another trick ive heard is if your bike runs better with the choke then something needs richening.... that i havent tried

jjgi5150

Jun 18, 2005
ellandoh,

I'm glad I took the time to read this thread ..I may have saved myself some extra $$$ that could be spent elsewhere.

I live here in very hot So Cal...in the low desert, always riding at sea level, up to about 1000 ft. in some of the Glamis dunes. I should note that in the summer heat, I only ride in the early morning or late evening maybe up to about 90 degs. max.

I just got my new to me '03 CR250. It has a Doma pipe, stock silencer, Twin Air filter, and V-Force V3 reeds. It was just recently re-jetted by the previous onwer, and to me it felt a bit rich when ridden. It had a 35 slow jet, a 400 MJ, and a 6BHY-38-71 neecle jet (2nd), and the AS out to about 2 1/4 turns. I found it to be pretty rich. The plug was new, but was wet black with a bit of soot...definately rich in my view! Oh the bike is currently running 40:1 Maxima 927 with pump gas.

So, I find your posting, and since your situation is about as close to mine as I have found...I'm going to follow your tips and see where I go...

I will first try going back to the factory's, and well as about everybody else I've ever spoken to, recommended 32:1 ratio. That, as I understand it will lean it out a bit. I will also be switching to KLOTZ R-50 pre-mix, based on both my adult son's great results on their current and past 2-strokes.

If that seems to help, but it still needs leaning, then I will go to the same settings you are using, and see from there. I have the stock 30 slow jet and 73 needle jet, and I also have 410 and 420 MJ's. When I go to San Diego on Wednesday, I'll stop at Bike Bandit and pick up a gasket kit, and a new 74 needle.

Thanks for providing your info, and I'll post my results as well...

Take Care,

JJ

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
jj just got back from the dunes........had to richen the main to 420 , raise the needle 1 clip pos. and turn a.s. 1+1/2 turn out.
80-85 deg about sea level

this combatted the extra load from the dunes which i went from a white plug with a little ring so far down i couldnt hardly see it which from what i understand is spot on, but too close for my comfort level. to a nice tan comfy color :)

check this little jump out :boss:

Last edited:

jjgi5150

Jun 18, 2005
ellandoh,

Hey, that was a great 'little' jump....I DO NOT plan on doing any of those, al least not on purpose....At 52, I'm getting too old to heal quickly, hell, to heal at all now days...

I'm always thinking about jetting on the "Safer" side as well...as I really like this bike alot...and I plan on keeping it. I don't mind the four stroke quads, as they are fun and pretty easy maintenance, generally. But I am a die hard 2-stroker, and I can't get enough of them. I really miss my '90 CR500, and regret every second that I sold it. It was in so new condition when I sold it that the tires still had tits on them. I'm even thinking, that maybe when this motor does take a dump, I may put in a CR500 motor...Hell , if Service Honda can do it, why can't I??? It actually looks like pretty much a straight bolt-in.

Anyway, I'll be picking up the parts I need at Bike Bandit this week, and when I get home on the weekend, I'll sort it all out...I'm wondering, if you needed to raise the needle up one notch, wouldn't the stock 73 needle probably be about perfect at the 2nd cilp??? I ask, cause I still have the 73 needle, and I might just use that one on the 2nd cilp...

Anyway,

Thanks again for your input...

I love this internet stuff...you get to talk to a lot of nice folks across the entire country....

Take Care,

JJ

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
yes , i would give 73 a try , i just went from my track settings and richened up... approx 8 different times in carb :yikes: and that is what got me where i needed to be. :) the needle made the most difference in the dunes for me because for the most part im cruising 1/3 to 2/3 throttle. in fact im not sure but i may have been able to stick with the 410 main. the pilot did nothing but cause me to load up regardless of a.s. setting :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom