Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
When I first started in this sport, one of my mentors was a guy named Jim Hunter. Hunter was a rare breed, the original 'Dirty Old Man'.

Hunter taught me how to power slide a motorcycle. I watched him power slide his big BSA Goldstar around the sweeper at Prado Park in Southern California, lap after lap. Feet on the pegs, full lock slide, poetry in motion. I tried to follow Hunter and time after time I tossed my Triumph away. High side, low side, even went over the front and got run over by my own motorcycle once trying to emulate this guy.

Hunter also taught us how to 'tough it out'. How to 'never give up'. Hunter had an extreme lack of compassion for 'newbies'. He knew all of the nasty spots in the trail and he and his partners-in-crime would get ahead of us 'new guys' far enough so that when we came upon these spots and would go crashing down on our arses, the first thing we would see when we picked ourselves up was Hunter and his cronies all lined up laughing their butts off.

For the longest time I could not figure out why this guy hated me so much. Why he put me through all of this pain and embarrassment. Well, I stuck it out and after many years and embarrassing incidents, I finally became 'one of the guys'. I got to line up with Hunter and the other guys and watch the new guys tumble down the hill. This is a tradition that still goes on to this very day.

When I got to really know this man, I found out that he had a heart of gold. He was generous beyond compare and was a very talented racer. He had a sharp wit and a tongue to match. Many a Pro National number walked away from Hunter with their tails between their legs.

Hunter earned many number one plates in District 37 and won two number one National sportsman plates at the age of 40. An age where most are retiring. He was the first man to go over 200mph on a motorcycle, 224mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Not to many people enjoyed life like Hunter did. He knew everybody and everybody knew him and respected him. I remember visiting him at the hospital after he failed to clear a sand wash, at speed, in Baja. They carried his broken body out on a hood of a car. The nurses at the hospital had already had enough, they wanted him out, broken body or not! After talking to some of his nurses, you could tell that Hunters charisma was working on them and they didn't really want him to leave. All Hunter wanted to do was get back out riding.

Jim Hunter passed away last Wednesday, the 17th, at the age of 78. As I write this I have a tear in my eye and a grin on my face. It's hard to think about Hunter and his antics without grinning.

Rest in peace Muff. You are, and will always be, my hero.

There will be a gathering of longtime friends this Saturday in honor of Hunter at Alondra park 3850 Manhatten Beach Blvd. Lawndale, Ca. Oct. 27 at 2:00 PM.

Ol'89r

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
He sounds like a true friend. It seems the loss will be shared by many and even though I never met him I feel the loss too. The tribute you wrote was very touching.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
89r - Sorry to hear about the passing of Jim Hunter but we appreciate you sharing your memories of him. It's always inspiring to hear tales of people who found a way to squeeze the life out of every day they had. I'll back it into a corner in his memory this weekend :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
God be with him and to all of you that knew him. A moment of silence will be with me on Saturday for him. I can only hope that I make an impression on the riding community like he did and make as many friends too. I've already learned something from him, having not even ridden with him, I'll never let you outta my sights when we ride the trails 89r, I want to be the one that gets in line and laughs at the guy who tossd his bike! Peace be with you

Respectfully,

Carlo (elk)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
That was a wonderful eulogy Terry. I hope you find a way to preserve it. I also hope when my time comes, I will have such good friends that bestow such memorable reflections.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
While it is sad to hear of his passing, it is nice to know he had such a full life with wonderful friends.

Terry, this isn't the guy I called, is it? How is he?

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Terry, sorry to hear about Jim's death. The loss of a true friend is a great one. :( Thanks for posting about him and your friendship, it is a great tribute. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, his family and friends.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey Terry, I can tell by that wonderful tribute that this is a great loss to you and his family,my prayers and thoughts go out you. I can also see a lot of your personality coming out in what you wrote about Jim, which is the best tribute you can give any friend.

I see his tradition carrying on

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Sorry to here that Old'89r, don't worry he's still pushing lap after lap where he is:) His legend will live on, thanks to people like you, people now know what kind of person he was and you can pass the tradition on to others as he passed it on to you,
rinding the track in eternity

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Just got a Cycle News today and Jim Hunter is on page 3, picture too. Sounds like he was one hell of a good guy.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Nice one, Terry.

I can vouch that you've taken up the challenge of torturing newbies. I've seen the "old-guys-speed-ahead-then-line-up-to-watch-and-laugh-at-newbies" routine. Nice to hear about who you learned that from. I can also vouch that you've perfected the slide that is, indeed, poetry in motion. Nice to learn who taught you that, too.

I wish your friend well on his journey.

You remember him well not just with what you wrote, but with the way you ride. The joy. The hazing of the newbies. The slide.

Maybe he'll watch us ride sometime. I kinda' hope so. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks everyone. It's true, Hunter had a huge impact on my life and not just my riding style. The tradition WILL live on and the newbies WILL suffer. Actually, we have had to tone it down a little. Some of the newbies won't come back, won't return phone calls. Sheesh! Go figure.

This is why we added the tutu ritual to our initiation festivities. We figure that anyone that will show up to ride with a bunch of people that they don't know in an area they are not familiar with, thinking they are going to have to don a tutu. Well, these people are made of the right stuff. ;)

Gomer. The guy you talked to was Larry Bird. Larry passed away a few months ago. I can't thank you enough for calling him. That made a very big impression on him. Larry and Hunter bounced off of each other many times on local race tracks and I know they are up there telling stories right now about who was the fastest.

Thanks again.

Ol'89r

ntfire

Jan 1, 2001
Jim Hunter/ remembered by Ol89r

Dear Ol89r
Well done Terry again. I am sure a few of you have had the pleasure and pain of riding with Ol 89r. Well so have I as well as with the forever memorialized Jim Hunter. Both of these characters did the newbies routine to me. I was just getting ready to have my son (15) go through it and hope that Hunter and Terry would let me watch. Knowing their "No Snibbling" rule I am sure they would drag my son asside and let him watch his father do the newbie crash.
Terry another great job on the "Hunter". I first remember meeting Jim wihen he came into Windlord performance (Bruce Eikelberger) to get his van worked on.Circa 1980. Well I had the chance to ride with him and host him also up in Monterey Califronia where we rode high on the mountains close to the clouds. We (about 12 of us) enjoyed hearing his stories over the course of several meals. The ride was fantastic. The freindship awesome. Terry was there for that also.
I also remember being Jim Hunters guest at dinner in Santa Fe Springs when he took racing legend Ak Miller out to dinner. I never ate a thing because those two (AK and Hunter) had over 40 years or racing stories. Hy sides ached from laughing. The racing gods and the dirt rider gods finally have a full court now and what fun they will have up there.
A message to all you who read this, TAKE THE TIME to go out or invite a legend and spend time with them. It will be a full filling experience. There are many around. Give Terry a call some time. Join him on his rides. The Hunter in him will come out.
Watch out for he may T bone you too!
Terry, Again god bless you for your outstanding tribute and hug those friends you see at the memorial today. Say hi to AK and Bruce if you see them. Sorry that I am not closer or I would be there. Let us all support the Jim Hunter Memorial ride. As Terry about it.
Adios Hunter and my you forever wheelie into the sunset. Our thoughts and memories are with you.
NTFIRE

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Re: Jim Hunter/ remembered by Ol89r

Originally posted by ntfire

Watch out for he may T bone you too!

NTFIRE [/B]

SHEESH! NTFIRE, you never forget a thing do you?:eek: I remember that ride in Monterey. That was one of the most enjoyable weekends of my life. I also know what you are talking about not getting to eat. Many a dinner at the Italian restaurant coming home from Holiday/Bean Cyn, we all walked out holding our sides from laughing so much at Hunters stories.

The memorial for Jim was great. Many, many heavy hitters there, not mourning but celebrating Jims life. From the car racing world was, Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney, Jerry Grant, from motorcycles was former National #1 Gene Romero, National #'s Skip Van Leuwen, Sammy Tanner, Jody Nickelos, Eddie Worth and many more.

Jim touched many lives.

We told stories about Hunter until they told us to leave. And once more, I walked out holding my sides.:D

Last edited:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
A very nice tribute. I'm sorry that I never had the pleasure to meet this gentleman, but perhaps one day you can torture me in his stead!:scream:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom