rnsspencertx

Dec 18, 2006
I aquired a JR50 (somewhere between 78-81) I have been fixing it up for my two boys ages 4 & 5. I got it rebuilt and it starts fine when cold, it idles great, it even hauls my 195 lb butt around the yard with no problem. When it gets hot it still idles great.

My problem is that when it does get hot if you kill the engine it will not start again until cold which gets two little boys frustrated they just wanna ride. When kicking it while this problem is happening I do not hear any engine noise like it is even trying to start, it is like I am kicking it but the kick starter is not engaging the engine to crank it. I have been scouring the web for an answer but to no avail and alas here I am. I have read someone say that it may be in need of a clutch adjustment??

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreaciated. This old man is getting abused by the little ones because he can't restart their little bike for them....

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Where are you located?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I was gonna offer to come over and have a look at it, but TX is little bit too far from NJ. :)

Are you saying that it actually feels different when you kick it hot? Like there's no compression, but only when it's hot?

rnsspencertx

Dec 18, 2006
The feel of the kick is the same but I do not hear the little growl it makes when trying to start it normally, like it is trying to turn over. To me when it is hot it sounds like the kick starter is not engaging the crank.

I tried a suggestion I read on another forum about adjusting the clutch (1/2 turn in) and I think it helped a little. I went from the first time last night of tuning it and getting hot and not being able to start it again to I started it let it idle for a few minutes, made a few more adjustments on carb killed it and it started back up. Then after I started it again I ran it around the yard a few times to try and get it hot killed it and started it back up. It maybe that it is fixed or it may be that it just was not as hot as the first time. I will try to run it longer tonight.

Top Bottom