Jr50

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Just bought my son a used JR50 for his 5th b-day, and was wondering what maintenace I should perform. I checked/replaced the brake shoes and adjusted the cables, changed tranny fluid, and basically gave it a once-over. I'm a streetbike 4-stroke guy tho, so I have no idea what to check engine wise on one of these things. Plug is a nice tan color, but other than that I have no clue. Any help?? Thanks in advance.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I have my daughter on a JR50 and other than adding gas quite often and picking it up off the ground and wiping away the tears once in a while, the bike's been maintenance free. Doesn't use much 2smoke oil either - hope it's getting enough. I did tear it apart over the winter but didn't find anything that really needed replacing (other than the steering stem ball bearings which rolled all over the shop when I dropped the steering stem down).

I did remove the obnoxious looking, heavy spark arrestor and replaced it with about a 3" section of hose and a clamp. That thing hanging so far out the back really bugged me. The noise isn't any different with it laying on the bench either.

Have fun!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…