desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Alright boy's. I'm putting this up early becasue I want to get the entire crew together to do this.

I did this Tankslappers Grand Prix a couple of years ago and it was a blast. It's put on by the District 38 Tanklappers club and is held at the infamous Carlsbad Raceway. You do NOT have to be a member of District 38 to race.

When: Sunday, July 21 2002

Where: Carlsbad Raceway, Carlsbad, CA

Who: All SoCal Wrecking Crew Members and families

Why: To have a great time racing on the infamous Carlsbad Raceway

How Much:
Pre-entry $35.00 (must be in by July 15th)
Race Day: $45.00
Gate Entry Fee: $12.00 per head entry fee into the raceway for both racers and spectators.

Race Schedule:
8:00 am - 250's
9:30 am - Open and 125's
11:00 am - Seniors & Super Seniors
12:30 pm - All Quads
2:00 pm - Veterans
3:30 pm - 4 Stroke & Vintage

All races last 1 hour

I will have my trailer out there for us to hang out in and get out of the heat. I can even bring out the grill so we can have a BBQ if we get enough interest.

Come on boys.. this will be a great SoCal DRN event.

I have entry forms that I can mail or fax to those that are interested.

Who's in??

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
there was a practise there today (it cost $37 to practisefrom 9:30-3:30) but i didnt go, am i correct in thinking the out of the door price for this event is $35 + $45 + $12 = $92?

if so thats an expensive day of riding, but i might come and watch and cheer anyway!

ps: desert-racer...ill pick you up around 6:30 OK :D

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
No no no my friend... I don't know how it works on the other side of the pond but...

If you pre-register it is $35. If you sign up on race day it is $45.....

Soooo... it would either be
$35 + $12 = $47
or $45 + $12 - $57

And I think that is cheap to come out and spend a day with ME!!!! :moon:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Holy Cow! The last time I raced a Grand Prix at Carlsbad was with the ROTMX, and I sucked (but I always fade at long races). There's something about hard packed adobe makes me very tentative, so I swore not to return. Come to think of it, that's the race where I kicked somebody's front wheel so he wouldn't pass me. :o

Is there anything different about this race from the usual adobe dust bowl Grand Prix's held there? Heck, if enough people are going to show, I may break my oath and ride. :)

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Frankly the GP thing scares the bejeezus out of me ... don't know why, but any of the motocross or moto / off-road type races make nervous. I think I'm afraid of jumps. That said, it's a cool idea and I would love to hang and it's possible that I could be convinced to enter.

And by the way ... nice looking family. That's a really beautiful picture on the start of your homepage.

So, who wants to race this thing ?

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Eel,

Thanks. I got lucky finding a good looking wife to marry my ugly :moon: .

The jumps at Carlsbad are small and few. From what I remember it is very hard pack, lots of ups and downs and turns and a drag race down the drag strip.

I am in no kinda shape to race but the idea of riding on the Carlsbad Raceway does soomething to me. Maybe cause it is such a landmark in the history on Motocross.

If everybody wants to just hang out and be my pit crew... heck that's cool with me. That way when I get done racing the burgers will be cooked and the beers will be cold... :) :)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Sounds like someone wants to try out the top speed of his 520 on the drag strip.... :D

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
If you pre-register it is $35. If you sign up on race day it is $45.....

ok, now i understand....it was sunday night.

And I think that is cheap to come out and spend a day with ME!!!!

i hope your not calling me cheap! :scream:

does anyone fancy a practise ride at carlsbad if one comes up before this event?

i would like to ride there but not at a competitive level (need lots more practise!)

i think it is every other sunday, which could be june 16, but i will try to find out.

later

homey

Aug 7, 2001
My friend and I will both be out there! I'll be on a '97 CR 250 and he'll either be on a '99 KX 250 (Roncada replica bike) or a '02 KX 250. I'm bringing family and friends out so we'll have a big group. How will I locate you guy's since I have not met anyone?

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
I will be in a Tan 2001 GMC Extra Cab Long Bed 4x4 with a 21' Baja Toy Hauler that is white with Blue stripes in tow. I will be riding a KTM 520 MXC with DirtRider.net fender stickers. I will probably try and park on the left side of the access road across from the track.

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Sounds like fun but.............unfortunately my last GP at Carlsbad induced "dirt-dart fever" and I left the dusty adobe with a separated shoulder, vowing to never ride there again. That was 2 years ago, so who knows.....it was really fun doing wheelies down the dragstrip :aj:
Doubt I'd race again, however if it looks like a large group of DRNr's are gonna show, I may just have to schedule a roadtrip !!

homey

Aug 7, 2001
Thanks!
I'll keep my eye out for you guy's. My bike has black fenders with 55 on my number plate and One Industries graphics kit. I will most likely be in a green Isuzu Trooper.
Shaun

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Bclapham:

The GP course uses the entire facility, so the motocross track that they allow practice on is just a small part of the GP course (if it's the same deal as it was a year ago). There has been much talk of Carlsbad eventually closing down, so anyone that hasn't done it, should (maybe) go for it. Then, when you get old and crusty, you can tell your grandkids, "Yeah, I remember the good old days, when we used race on the 'ol drag strip at Carlsbad. Them were the days - yup, them were the days."

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Then, when you get old and crusty, you can tell your grandkids, "Yeah, I remember the good old days, when we used race on the 'ol drag strip at Carlsbad. Them were the days - yup, them were the days."

That's what I'm talkin about..... :moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham

does anyone fancy a practise ride at carlsbad if one comes up before this event?

Let us know when one comes up please.

Ol'89r

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by Thumbs
I'm in :)

Whoo Hooo.. :aj:

I wondered where you were. It wouldn't be the same without our "Thumb"

Are you racin or spectatin? Do you need me to fax or send you an entry form??

Top Bottom