jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, it's grass cutting time once again here in the south and my riding lawnmower won't start. When I turn the key the engine only turns over once (starter doesn't stay engaged with the key turned...even with juice in the battery). It's yet to fire and now the battery is almost dead.

My question is, including the problem above, can you jumpstart a lawnmower with a car battery? I'm trying to avoid buying a new battery for it or even a charger for that matter!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Probably a 6 volt battery.
Charger will fry it soon.

Sounds like a starter bendix.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Actually most newer tractors are 12 volt (better check first) and yes I have jumped it from the car several times in the past when the kid left it sitting out back with the key on. New batteries around here go for under $15 so I just replace it every other year just to be sure.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It is the thing that makes the cogs engauge the flywheel.
You could maybe take the starter off, spray the inner works with wd-40 real good and try to make it work while it's off. You should be able to see the cogs come out and turn when you turn the key.
Probably a relay between the switch and the starter too. You may want to check it.

What brand is this mower?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
It's a Murray, 17.5 hp 42" deck. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I just bought it last summer..new. Can you replace that alone, or do you have to replace the entire starter?

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
a 12v batterie is fully charged when the voltage is around 13.2v if you check it and it's around 12 v, the battery is dead and has to be charged.(or changed if it's not good anymore)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Jump it, it won't hurt a thing if you hook the cables up right. Then go buy a charger (everyone needs a battery charger!).

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I wiggled all the wires going from the battery to the starter lastnight (a couple are kinda loose) and squirted a shot of starting fluid into the intake and it fired up with one turn of the key. I'm cleaning the cables and tightening them today, hopefully that "starter bendix" isn't the problem afterall. If I wasn't spending all my money on goodies for my bike I guess I could afford a charger....but that's the cost of a new glide plate, or knee guards, or a new tire, or chest protector, or iron on numbers for my jersey, or.........

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can find trickle chargers cheap.

Top Bottom