zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'll try to make this as clear as possible. Bear with me & read slow.

Just yanked my old CD player out to replace with a newer one. The old one worked fine as far as powered up & the tuner worked. All I did was cut the (1)yellow (power), (2)black (neg), (3)red (keyed power) and (4) blue (power antenna/amp keyed power) and unplug the RCA cables and antenna plug. There were no speaker wires to cut because I'm running an amp.

I didn't disconnect the battery. I always forget to do this & get a little spark to remind me. This time, however, I didn't.

So I connect the new stereo's yellow, black, red & blue wires just like the old one, put it back in the dash, turn the key & nothing.

Pulled it out, checked all connections, turned the key again & nothing. Looked under the seat to see if my amp was powered up, & it wasn't either (the blue power antenna wire provides the remote turn on for the amp).

Disconnected the stereo, connected the amp's blue turn on lead to the car's red turn on, turned the key, & it powered up. So now I'm thinking there's just something wrong with the new stereo. It's an open box unit I got at Circuit City.

Put the old stereo back in, turn the key, & nothing. Huh..?

Checked all fuses... they're fine. But- the clock & dome light don't work now. Everything else in the car works fine. At this point I'm thoroughly confused. How can a stereo that was working fine not work ten minutes later? How can the amp power on when connected directly to the red wire but not when connected via the stereo? And what's the deal with the clock & dome light?

This is a pretty simple system. There's only 9 or 12 fuses. They're all fine. Same for the fuse for the amp & the ones for each stereo.

I have a feeling it's something obvious, right in front of my eyes. It always is. I usually have to do things 2 or 3 times, even if it's something I've done before. But I'm really stumped. HELP!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
There may be a second set of fuses that you've missed. The last couple of cars I owned had fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
no anti-theft, although those are the biggest PITA. Anytime you take a enwer car into the shop and they disconnect the battery... .

And I'll check under the hood for another fuse block. Thanks.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Good call, Larry. Fuse block under the hood, too. I feel better now that I've confirmed my dumbosity.

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
My guess is there is a fuse you didn't find, that popped when you cut the wire or when it touched something under the dash. I've had it happen to me before.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
The antenna is also used as a ground and must be plugged into the radio on some models, but that wouldn't cause the dome light to not work. :think:

Mully

B

biglou

Do you have a test light? Aligator clip to ground and a lighted "ice pick" looking probe? Great for simple "power or not" testing. Hella cheap at Autozone or wherever. If you don't have power at the radio where you should, start working backward toward the power source till you find the problem.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Wasn't clear enough in my last post. It was a fuse under the hood. What's the deal with two fuse blocks? Works fine now. I haven't re-installed the new radio yet. But I'm sure all will be fine.

What had me so dang confused was that the amp would power up when I bypassed the stereo. I never considered that the keyed battery lead was separate from the accessories on that particular fuse.

I know I need to get one of those probes one of these days.

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
zio said:
Wasn't clear enough in my last post. It was a fuse under the hood. What's the deal with two fuse blocks? Works fine now. I haven't re-installed the new radio yet. But I'm sure all will be fine.

What had me so dang confused was that the amp would power up when I bypassed the stereo. I never considered that the keyed battery lead was separate from the accessories on that particular fuse.

Sorry ZIO, it appears we were posting at the same time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
zio said:
Oldguy beat me to it . . .

probe . . . 'round these parts we call it a "tester". Probe is just wrong.

Top Bottom