instin

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2002
Will this stock Enuma chain on my 2003 KDX220 last or should I replace it. I can't find the masterlinks for it. Even at the Kawasaki dealers. They are special order. Is it worth the aggravation.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
You shouldn't really need to take the chain off ever. If you lost your master link for some reason I would just order a new one. The stock chain lasts for quite a while.

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by KdxChode
You shouldn't really need to take the chain off ever.

Kdx Chode must ride until the bike just stops. I would think some occasional preventative maintenance would necessitate removal of the chain at least once in the bike's lifetime. Just order the master-link. Your chain should last at least one year of aggressive riding. Plus, when you've been on the bike for a little while, you may want to make some mods, which will require the chain to be changed out anyway. :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by cfr1970
Kdx Chode must ride until the bike just stops.

I'd be willing to bet good money that is exactly the case.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
NOOOO!!!!! I do really good maintenance. Mine came with an O-ring chain though, it doesn't need to come off and be dipped in oil or anything. The only time I take mine off is for the yearly lube of the swingarm bearings.

I could be wrong but what other tasks would require removal of the chain???

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wearing out of the chain would require a removal, and that would throw "ever" in the dumpster.

Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Do your self a favor and throw the stock rubber band chain away and go ahead and order a new drive line (sprockets front & rear aswell) because if you do any hard riding that stock piece of crap will stretch like no other. I had to tighten the damn thing everytime I rode last fall. I purchased a real O-ring chain replaced the sprockets ( Upped on the teeth on the rear to 50 tooth and the chain to 110 links) this little cheap and inexpensive modification can better harness the power of the little green machine. Hope this helps. Oh yeah the replacement o-ring chain that I bought still on the bike with hardly any stretch in almost 8 months of hard chargin trail ridin.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
Wearing out of the chain would require a removal, and that would throw "ever" in the dumpster.

Yea, but at that point you wouldn't need a masterlink either.

Did they start putting a different chain on the 03's? This is the first time I have heard of the stocker getting bashed by so many people. In the past the O-Ring chain was said to be one of the benefits of the 220 over the 200. I only do 40 - 50 miles of trails a week during the warm part of the year but the chain on my 99 is still in great shape.

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by KdxChode
I could be wrong but what other tasks would require removal of the chain???

You may want to occasionally check the wheel bearings, change the rubber, clean/inspect the axle, etc. etc. etc. If the bike is not ridden for racing, the stock chain should be more than sufficient for at least one season. Yeah, they stretch, but why throw it out when it's still good? Doesn't sound like good economics to me. :|

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Even if you never *plan* to take the chain off, what are you going to do if you lose a master link back in the woods 20 miles from your truck? I'd either order a master link or scrap the chain in favor of an O-ring model that you can get a spare master link for.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
instin,
Your chain is likely the EK 520SRO Sport O-ring.
I would suggest you buy a comparable brand of master link. I would get a standard type o-ring link and then remove your chain, fit the new link to make sure it fits, and then take it back off.
Keep the new link for a spare and use it if you ever do loose the original link in the woods. The new link will get you home.
Many folks will claim their chains are junk....I garantee most of them have not accomplished at least one task of good chain maintenance. Most ANY chain that is used if taken good care of, ie...cleaning/adjustment/lubrication will last a good while. I agree with crf1970 that it doesn't make sense to throw the chain away if it is not worn out.
Learn to measure your chain properly and keep an eye on it. When it gets to about 2% of it's original stock length, buy a new one. Let it go past that length and you will be buying sprockets also.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Excuse the ignorance, I've only been on a my KDX twice now (twice on any dirt bike for that matter), how do I know if I have an O-ring chain? It's a 93 KDX i bought used. It has some devol plates/guards, renthals, airbox lid taken out, after market pipe. Would O-ring be an obvious mod the previous owner should have done? Thanks alot.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I have a 99 KDX 220 and I keep track of total miles in order to know when to do various maintenance tasks. My original o-ring chain has just over 4000 miles. My chain maintenance consists of spraying it with WD-40 after washing the bike after every ride. There has been very little stretch. I have replaced the front sprocket once. This chain is definitely not junk. It is the best chain I have had in 40 years of riding.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi McRider,
I too have had equal success with the life of my 1999 KDX220 stock chain. Glad to hear others are experiancing the same performance I have.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How do you explain the wearing out of the front sprocket, McRider?

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
My explanation for why the front sprocket wore out is that the little sucker spins a WHOLE bunch of times with a heavy load on not too many teeth. Each tooth comes into driving contact with the chain many more times than a tooth on the rear sprocket. That's why I don't recommend lowering your overall gearing by going to an even smaller 12 tooth sprocket. One old trick is to turn the countershaft sprocket around when it starts getting hooked teeth and thereby extend its life, but the KDX sprockets aren't that expensive so I just replace it.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Riverz,

You can actually see the o-rings on an o-ring chain. They are between the outer plates and the rollers. They also cause the chain to be wider, so compared to a non o-ring chain of the same size they will be wider and heavier looking.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mcrider,
If the pitch of the chain dos not change, the teeth of the sprocket will not become deformed, if everything is adjusted properly.
If they are indeed hooked, then it was most certainly caused by the pitch of the chain elongating. Usually this wear will also show on the rear sprocket, unless you had a hard steel rear. There is also a very good chance that you had an alignment problem. Even a small mis-alignment can wear out a driving sprocket very fast.
I assure you that the sprocket had enough integrity to last every bit as long as the chain.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Well Jaybird, I disagree. The chain has stretched very little, and as far as an allignment problem, I don't do any check of that other than to make sure the notches on the adjustment cams are the same on both sides. I know that is not the most absolute accurate way, but its usually good enough.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
But, it's not good enough to keep your drive train intact.
You should take your chain off and place a straight edge along the side of your back sprocket running to the side of the front sprocket and take a look to see if you are staight. It only takes a few minutes.
And when you say the chain has stretched very little, what does that mean? How much over original pitch length is it?
You may disagree, but unless Kaw slipped a sprocket made of pot metal in on you, then you definately are experiencing either an alignment or a stretched chain problem. Others may post here and say they had the same problem as you, and I will agree they had the same problem as you.

But if you feel there is nothing I can help you with, please say so now....I hate these ongoing arguments.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Jaybird,
I don't need any help. I originally posted just to say that I think the stock chain on my bike was not junk, but one of the best I've ever had. In 40 years of riding street and dirt motorcycles I've had a lot of chances to observe wear characteristics of chains and sprockets and have developed my own opinions, but thanks for sharing yours.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm not sharing opinion, but you are quite welcome.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom