Just a few KDX questions

Gruff

Jan 29, 2004
Im an KTM guy and have previously owned a few KDX's. I picked up a well used 97 200 with the idea of making it into a "second bike" while I do maintenance on the primary bike. Reading all the forum talk and the KDX tech stuff I wanted to build a decent trail bike with the knowledge learned here. I knew this bike needed some work but while changing the sprockets I noticed some play between a brand new countershaft sprocket and the countershaft splines. Did I get into something thats going to cost me more than the bike is worth? Is this a common wear issue? And, Is the gnarly wood pipe the best pipe for Eastern wood riding?

Thanks much for any help here

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There should not be much play in the countershaft sprocket. The c/s sprocket should slide on easy, but there shouldn't be any sise-to-side movement. How did the old sprocket fit? Did it have the same play? If not, try a different manufacturer c/s sprocket.

Regarding the pipe, what are you looking for performance wise? Many seem to like the FMF Fatty. I like strong topp end power with a good mid-rev punch, so I use the PC pipe on my KDX.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…