gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
I installed a WER damper on my bike and reading the manual it states "Your WER damper does not damp all the way through its stroke left to right." What does that mean? Does it mean it performs right to left, but not left to right? I want to make sure I didn't waste $340

Thanks in advance

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
You should have received a manual with the damper from WER. If I remember correctly they have a graphic in there that illustrates where the damper is effective. Basically, the intent is to keep the bars from getting ripped out of your hands from the center position  when you hit a rut or rock, etc.  If you're swinging the bars back & forth through a tree farm in 1st gear, the damper is designed to have less effect.  It damps up to about 20 or 30 degrees on each side of center, but provides no damping outside that zone. So you don't wear your arms out fighting the damper at low speed. And it does not damp on the return arc to center, for the same reason.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
But why does it say it doesn't dampen left to right? What about right to left? The way it reads it sounds like there is an inconsistancy in make left hand vs. right hand turns.

Ken Murray

Jan 27, 2002
What it means is the WER dampner dampens going away from center but not returning to center. I have a WER on my KDX200 and a Scotts on my WR250F, the WER feels lighter (less resistance) because it does not dampen going back to center after a deflection. Both units do a good job dampning oscillations. Can't make up my mind yet which one I'll put on my new Gas Gas EC300, it doesn't seem to need one.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks. Also, I'm glad you can't make up your mind between the WER and Scotts. I take that as they are both a good product.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I've had my wer for 16 months now, I'm very happy with it. It's a nice peace of insurance for all the rocks out here on the East Coast.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom