Just another 500 Ride (and the conquering of the 80)

VioletSP

Dec 16, 2001
Dad and I woke up at the butt-crack-o-dawn today to hit the 500. Dad wanted to show me the first test section of the Golden Eagle Enduro we had a few weeks ago. Apparently there was a nasty uphill right before the end of the test which kept the check workers snickering all race long. Fortunately I have a strong sense of self preservation and managed to get us slightly lost before we hit the hill-o-doom. I "unfortunately" :nener: never had the pleasure of crashing on that particular hill. Of course there's always next time I suppose.

I finally tackled the 80 this glorious July 5th morning. The 80 is a parcel of land that the big boys talk of with a hushed awe usually reserved for obstacles that have claimed the lives, careers, or radiators of someone's distant cousin's best friend's roommate. :think: It's tight curves are legend at the 500. So of course it took my dad some time (a few years) to convince me to attempt it. Of course when I think of "The 80" my mind conjures images of near pitch black woods with rabid badgers, spiders as big as your head, and 90 degree turn every 3-5 feet. While it was every bit as difficult as I thought it would be, the woods weren't nearly as menacing as I had originally supposed them to be. It was a fun ride and I only nearly killed myself 3-14 times.

After another short loop dad and I decided to seek out breakfast so we started to load up. When I took off my glove I experienced the blind panic and revulsion usually reserved for tick sightings. Fortunately, it was a small blood blister I got NOT by doing anything heroic or daring on the motorcycle BUT by pinching myself with my boots during my struggle to get them on. (for those who don't know my boots and I don't really get along sometimes and it takes a little "persuasion" to get them buckled properly)
So far during my short-lived motorcycling career my worst injuries occur within a ten yard radius of camp and usually about 5 feet away from my motorcycle. :think:

We went straight to Braums and while we were there an elderly gentlemen asked dad about his bikes. This man turned out to be Doyle McCubbin(s) who rode back when there was no 500. Apparently he and his compatriots were the ones who lobbied to established the 500 after being run out of the Lake Carl Blackwell area. They also cut the first trails out at the 500. :worship: He had a lot of great stories about some of the older names in dirtbiking around these parts (Zink Boys and the Coopers). He was happy to hear how well the Golden Eagle was doing now days. :yeehaw:

Fun times and we made it back into the air conditioning before it got Oklahoma Hot.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Glad you had fun on the 80. That is my favorite place. Great report, 3-14 times, LOL!

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Fortunately, I had loaded the gear and bikes the day before, so when the phone rings at 5:45 AM, I can catch another 30 minutes of sleep until Violet shows up. I dress out as she makes some toast topped with some home-made (from the plum 'tree' in the front yard) plum jelly. Mmmm.... thanks, Mary!
We got to the front gate and tried to remember the combo to the lock. We had made an effort to imprint the 4 numbers into our memory the evening before, and it didn't work. I had the first two numbers right, she the last 2, and of course the lock didn't help us out, at all....
We had the place to ourselves and put in 10 miles through the west side over to the 80. We then roaded back to camp for some water and quiet appreciation of the morning.
All in all, it was one of the better days I have experienced on God's green earth.

tdjok

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2003
Great ride report! I also have fond memories of the 80. That is where I sacrificed my left shoulder. The trail wasn't so much to blame as was my extremely poor riding style.

Keep me in mind next time you're planning a nice relaxing ride. I've still got one good shoulder. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom