Just Bought KDX200-Front Wheel has little play

mwm6

May 25, 2003
Hi all..... Just bought this 1998 KDX200 yesterday and didn't notice until today that the front wheel has some play. First noticed when I was pushing down on bars to compress forks - felt a slight clicking. When I grab the tire on opposite ends, the wheel moves slightly and you can see the axle moving around a tiny bit inside the bearing.

The bearings are roller bearings - yes??? What is giving me this play - and how much is too much???

I was going to take bike to track tomorrow to ride around with boys while they practice - thus the immediate concern. Otherwise, what does it sound like needs replaced - and how do you remove the axle - I don't have owners manual - will have to order one.

Thanks....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Go to any autoparts store.

Get (2) number 6202 bearings that are double rubber sealed. Unbolt the axle, tap out the old bearings and tap in the new ones. reinstall the axle and ride off.

They should be about 6-8 bucks each at the most.

mwm6

May 25, 2003
Thanks for the reply! We'll Do.

I just couldn't tell if the axle is threaded into the opposite fork as the fork closest to bolt head has the removable axle hold plate. So, I remove the plate and loosen the axle bolt with socket?? Sorry for the question - just not sure if the axle is threaded and if its that simple.

Thanks

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Any play that you can feel is too much play. If you can actually see the bearing move, it's *way* too much play.

The axle is threaded. Loosen the clamp plate, then unthread the axle and pull it out. When you put it back on, make sure you tighten the upper nuts on the clamp plate first, then the lower. Best to use a torque wrench on the clamp nuts since over tightening will snap the studs.

While you're at it check, the rear wheel for play too. Grab the tire at the top and pull it back and forth in a side to side direction. If there's any play you should feel it.

If this is a new-to-you bike, plan on disassembling and regreasing the swingarm and linkage bearings soon.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom