maseh2os

Nov 4, 2010
Ok guys, I know the KDX vs KTM 200's debate has pretty much been done to death (and I think I've read just about every thread out there), but I'm still torn between these two bikes! So, my apologies, this is going to be a long post, but in order to save on questions I want to give you as much background on where I'm at as possible...

First off, I'm an absolute beginner, no experience at all. I have some friends that do a lot of trail riding, and I'd like to get a bike to join them as soon as possible. I don't see me doing any racing anytime soon, but I suppose it's possible later on down the road.

Unfortunately, while I hate money being a deciding factor in these decisions, I don't have a lot to spend at the moment. On my current budget, I would either be buying an older, cheaper KDX sometime soon, or saving up for a while and hoping to run across a somewhat newer, but still reasonably priced KTM.

So I guess this is where I'm at:
It seems like a KDX is a great beginner bike, and would be easier for me to jump on and start riding, while also giving me the ability to mod it up as I become a better/more aggressive rider. Not to mention giving me some great mechanical training in fixing it up, maintaining, and modding it. Also, being cheaper, I'd be into a bike sooner than if I saved for the KTM.

That being said, and I really don't want to restart a big debate here, the KTM seems to be a much better bike overall, even completely stock, than a fully modded KDX. But it is also possibly one that would be very frustrating and even dangerous to try learning on. The upfront cost would be greater, thus forcing me delay getting a bike, but in the end I would probably end up spending more in mods for the KDX, and probably still want to buy a KTM later on.

So, as a total newb, should I be going with the cheaper, more docile KDX to get started slowly...or should I hold out and dive in the deep end with a KTM, sink or swim style?

All opinions will be greatly appreciated, seems like there are many of you who have owned both, so your knowledge of both bikes will really help if you can put yourself or have been in my shoes. I know brand loyalty runs deep with these bikes, but I'm hoping this won't turn into a giant debate. Thanks ahead of time, sorry for how ridiculously long this is!

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Chili's right. I want get into what bikes what. I have ktms, hondas and one kdx. If money is an issue buy the kdx and start riding you'll be very happy.

Top Bottom