just changed coolant, wont start..

Pizzam4n

Oct 6, 2007
just bought this yz85 used and wanted to change the coolant, so i drained it then cleaned it out with clean hose water then added the new honda coolant.. started fine with choke up then shifted down to 1st gear then it turned off.. now it wont start back up, any ideas? would be much appreciated! i did mess with the idle speed a lil bit.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
sounds like what happened to me.. only i didn't change the coolant. just one random day i started up the bike waited like a min (it was getting dark i wanted to ride) put her in gear started to hit the gas and as soon as the clutch started to catch it went blah and died.. and wouldn't start.. i kicked and kicked until i was sweating.. and go soo frustrated.. put it away got a new plug started on first kick

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's the Honda coolant. You can't mix blue and red like that or you get purple ;)

Change the plug, let the bike get warmed up a bit more this time, maybe try feeling the fat part of the pipe (expansion chamber) and when it starts to warm you should be good to go.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Patman said:
It's the Honda coolant. You can't mix blue and red like that or you get purple ;)
QUOTE]

That's almost as bad as trying to run a purple power band in your bike. :nod: ;) :rotfl:

Pizzam4n

Oct 6, 2007
i didnt know what kind of coolant was used before... but i completely flushed out the old so i dont think it would matter if it was honda coolant.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Pizzam4n said:
i didnt know what kind of coolant was used before... but i completely flushed out the old so i dont think it would matter if it was honda coolant.

Patman was just messin' with ya about the coolant. :nener: ;)

Like others suggested, change your spark plug. Changing the coolant should not have anything to do with the bike not starting. Also, when changing your coolant, don't use regular water to flush the system. Use only distilled water. It won't hurt your bike to use it once, but in the future use distilled water only.
You can use any automotive type coolant that is compatable with an aluminum engine, just mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

That damn Patman, always messin' with the kids. :laugh:

Top Bottom