marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Just got me a compressor-got questions on oils

Now i know it has oil in it-can i use suspension fluid to top it up?do they consume oil? and should it be changed on a regular basis?also the impact wrench i have-can i use suspension oil in that as well-i have the little bottle that comes with it but i gues it wont last that long.

I know suspension fluid probably isnt the cheapest stuff to put in, but i have lots of it and i hate searching the shops for stuff if i have something i can use.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I wouldn't suggest using anything but recirculating/compressor oil in your compressor, marcus. Yes, they will eventually start to consume the oil, more from seal leakage than anything. The leakage will also present itself downstream in your air. It is absolutely necessary to have a coalescing type filter system if you plan on using the air to paint with, or any delicate instrument control.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Any more votes for motor oil? i also have atf f laying around??

I use straight 30 weight in my compressor and atf in my nail guns, air grinders, etc.

Jay is correct if your compressor is new and you want it to last. Be sure and drain the tank frequently. Humidity is a real problem for compressors.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Air tool oil is available at walmart. It's cheap and is the proper thing to use. As far as wha tto use in the compressor, follow the owner's manual. If you keep oil in it and an air filter on it the compressor will last a long time before the seals go bad and oil gets sucked through.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Air tool oil is available at walmart. It's cheap and is the proper thing to use. As far as wha tto use in the compressor, follow the owner's manual. If you keep oil in it and an air filter on it the compressor will last a long time before the seals go bad and oil gets sucked through.

I suspect it would be pretty crappy to have oily air go through the plasma cutter too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Oily or wet air is the nemisis of plasma arc equipment. The little filter set-up supplied with these units should be thrown away immediately and a proper filtation unit installed. OR...change tips every hour or so and be happy. :)

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
marcus wont find a "walmart" in the uk but he will find ASDA which is owned by by the fine folks in arkansas.

Top Bottom